Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
I got two iPhone cables which stopped charging my iPhones.

The first is still on warranty. It’s being repaired by an Apple authorized repair shop.

The second’s warranty period got expired.

Should I buy new cables?

I’ve got two factors for you to consider:

Does a repaired cord charge the iPhone worse than a new one just purchased from the shop? Even if it’s fixed by an Apple authorized repair shop?

There is enough information on how to fix a cable. But I have no experience with any repairs. Will I be able to fix a cable properly if I follow the instructions?

Last edited:

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
You can pick up "Made for iPhone" cables for not a lot such as Amazon Basics ones and they work just fine. Not sure why you would mess about getting cables "fixed" other than having it swapped by Apple if its an option.

Reactions: Nickk

Nickk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
You can pick up "Made for iPhone" cables for not a lot such as Amazon Basics ones and they work just fine. Not sure why you would mess about getting cables "fixed" other than having it swapped by Apple if its an option.

I can't swap any of my cables cause the shops they have been purchased at don't provide this option.

The best option I'm left with is to get it repaired at an Apple authorized repair shop.
And this option's possible only for one of the two cables, the one which is still on warranty.

As for the second cable, which has run out of the warranty period, there's no even such option.
[doublepost=1548943996][/doublepost]
I’ve never heard of someone taking the time or spending the money to pay someone else to repair an iPhone charging cable.

Out of curiosity, how much are you paying them?

The cheapest genuine Apple cable I can get costs US$ 15.

But considering a couple of them I've bought within several latest months stopped functioning and remembering about quite a few other gadgets of mine with frayed wires I can't but think about repairing those of them that have run out of warranty by myself to save about a hundred bucks.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can't swap any of my cables cause the shops they have been purchased at don't provide this option.

The best option I'm left with is to get it repaired at an Apple authorized repair shop.
And this option's possible only for one of the two cables, the one which is still on warranty.

As for the second cable, which has run out of the warranty period, there's no even such option.
[doublepost=1548943996][/doublepost]

The cheapest genuine Apple cable I can get costs US$ 15.

But considering a couple of them I've bought within several latest months stopped functioning and remembering about quite a few other damaged wired gadgets of mine I can't but think about repairing them by myself to save about a hundred bucks.
I’ve never heard of such a thing, so I’m curious.
  • Where are you located?
  • What are these shops that repair cables?
  • How much do they charge to repair cables?

Reactions: rbrian and Nickk

Nickk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
I’m in Russia.

<shops that repair cables?

I’m sure, any repair shop in this country repairs cables cause it’s a common practice here to solder cables not to buy new ones. I handed mine to one of a dozen genuinely authorized repair shops. They differ from fake authorized ones by accepting products on warranty quite often.

<How much do they charge to repair cables?

I’ve failed to find the answer. The shop’s price list link is invalid.
The Russian national search service didn’t help either.

But the agreement states if my cord appears to be all right and doesn’t, actually, need any repairs I have to pay $ 15 “for diagnostics”.
Recently, a shop like that suddenly made me pay $ 30 "for diagnostics” cause they didn't want to fix my rMBP that was on warranty.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Wouldnt even entertain getting them fixed as mentioned. So many good options for cables these days and you dont need to bother with genuine Apple ones just make sure its Apple MFi certified.

I'm in the UK but as i've used the Amazon Basics cables in the past with no issues at all. They are £5.39 ($7) each with deals for buying a couple or 12 if you really need to!! They even do a nylon braided one that's probably a bit more durable if you really need it for £8.19 (just under $11)

Reactions: Nickk

Nickk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
Does anybody approve the Lightning 8 Pin Female to 30 Pin Male Adapter?

One of the questions to it is would it scratch the iPhone 4 port? Cause we need to squeeze the ending of the genuine 30 Pin cable from both sides of its ending first, whereas a generic adapter isn't squeezable.

Also, is it going to charge properly? The one I found costs only a buck.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does anybody approve the Lightning 8 Pin Female to 30 Pin Male Adapter?

One of the questions to it is would it scratch the iPhone 4 port? Cause we need to squeeze the ending of the genuine 30 Pin cable from both sides of its ending first, whereas a generic adapter isn't squeezable.

Also, is it going to charge properly? The one I found costs only a buck.
I would not trust or use an adapter like that.

Nickk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2014
So far, the discussion has helped me to limit my questions to this one:

Has anyone heard of Apple MFi certified 30 pin cable that would cost me $7 for a common or $11 for a more durable option together with shipping to Russia?

Cause as far as the Amazon Basics recommended above are concerned, the shipping makes them so expensive for me that it's cheaper to buy the Apple genuine ones in Russia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.