Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d3vCr0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi people, thsis is my first post in the forum, I hope I get some help, thanks in advance.

I recently got a first generation Mac Pro and I'm looking forward to upgrade the Graphics Card in order to be able to at least install Mavericks or Yosemite on it, since most software I need is not compatible with Lion.

I'm on a budget right now, so I'm going cheap with this, searching for local stores I found this cards (in order from the cheapest one):

- Sapphire HD 4550 1GB
- nVidia GT 210 1GB
- nVidia Geforce 8400 GS 1GB
- nVidia GT 520 1GB
- AMD ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 5670 1GB
- AMD Radeon 6450 1GB
- AMD Radeon 8570 1GB
- ATI Radeon HD 8490 1GB

Honestly I don't know much about graphic cards, Can somebody please tell me if any of these cards will work on the original Mac Pro? I don't care if I don't see the boot logo, as long as they work and mean at least an improvement in comparison to the actual nVidia GeForce 7300 GT 256MB it currently has.

I hope the are still available by the time I get any reply.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Sharing Picture September 26, 2017 at 3.29.55 AM GMT-5.png
    Screen Sharing Picture September 26, 2017 at 3.29.55 AM GMT-5.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 705

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
None of those cards probably give native support, but I'm sure a pro here will be able to tell you which has a chance. Why don't you just use what Apple has been using in their Mac Pros?

Cheapies:

8800GT
4870 HD
5770 HD

d3vCr0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
None of those cards probably give native support, but I'm sure a pro here will be able to tell you which has a chance. Why don't you just use what Apple has been using in their Mac Pros?

Cheapies:

8800GT
4870 HD
5770 HD

But will they at least work? These are not that cheap in my country and importing them from the USA is quite expensive, that's why I was looking for something I could purchase here locally

joeteu

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Hello, d3vCr0w
I am wondering if you ever had luck replacing your Mac Pro 1,1 graphics card. I am into a similar situation today with this old - but still very useful - computer, wondering if there could be a somehow available replacement for the original NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT... any feedback will be very much appreciated. Regards!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hello, d3vCr0w
I am wondering if you ever had luck replacing your Mac Pro 1,1 graphics card. I am into a similar situation today with this old - but still very useful - computer, wondering if there could be a somehow available replacement for the original NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT... any feedback will be very much appreciated. Regards!
Here you go, take your pick...
the first on the list is brand new and appears to the best price.
I've had good success purchasing from China, you just have to be patient.:(
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...TRS0&_nkw=nvidia+geforce+7300+gt+mac&_sacat=0

d3vCr0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hello, d3vCr0w

Hey joeteu, sorry for the late reply, I purchased an EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3 and it worked with my Mac Pro, the thing is that when I turn it on I just see a black screen (no Apple loading screen), but besides that, it works fine. Regarding the replacement for the original graphics card, jbarley already covered you up.

joeteu

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2018
Hey joeteu, sorry for the late reply, I purchased an EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3 and it worked with my Mac Pro, the thing is that when I turn it on I just see a black screen (no Apple loading screen), but besides that, it works fine. Regarding the replacement for the original graphics card, jbarley already covered you up.

Thank you for sharing this, d3vCr0w. Interesting stuff the no-apple-loading issue, but as long as it works... good luck to you!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I picked up a GeForce GT 640 2GB off eBay and it works, plus I get the boot screen.
Just by luck the card I purchased had been flashed to get the boot screen.:)

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 9.21.55 AM.png

Reactions: tsialex

d3vCr0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
I picked up a GeForce GT 640 2GB off eBay and it works, plus I get the boot screen.
Just by luck the card I purchased had been flashed to get the boot screen.:)

View attachment 779960

Do you know any guide on how to flash it? I didn't know that card could be flashed, wouln't have spent so much money on the flashed Radeon HD 5870.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Do you know any guide on how to flash it? I didn't know that card could be flashed, wouln't have spent so much money on the flashed Radeon HD 5870.
Sorry but I can't help you with that, maybe you'll get lucky and someone else on this forum can offer more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.