Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deep_learned_mistake

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Do you think apps will still be 99c or free with in-app purchases, considering devs need to spend 3.5k + 99$ a year before they can even produce a compelling app?

I think apps will cost a fortune on this thing to recoup production costs.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Early developers will likely be looking to earn a coin on being first movers and off-setting the high AVP cost, so I expect a good selection of 5-10$ apps and not much at the lowest numbers. Especially not considering this will be targeted at developers, not consumers, and that not many AVPs will actually be available with potential buyers. At the same time, this is unexplored ground, so they can set the early price-field. With pretty much no contesters for most apps, there's not much driving the price to 0$.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I am hopeful that there is a general increase in apps for Vision OS. Let me explain...

I'm hopeful to see productivity intensive apps that really leverage the new OS. Apps in 3D modeling and sculpting, for example. That are very professional. Or in film or music production, etc. And that are able to command higher fees than are traditionally on IOS.

I think there are just way too many apps on IOS and too many junk apps in the freemium model or the 99¢ model. I think it has cheapened the IOS app market, and left the idea that it isn't for professional work.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
I would expect to see a lot of apps that come in between $20-50 price range and a big chunk of the visionOS native apps. I’m sure Apple has done their market research, as have VR devs, that volume may be lower than other platforms and so you must/can charge more to sustain the business model. More importantly, it would seem obvious that people into VR sets and now a $3500 headset, wouldn’t scoff at spending $20-40 for the right experiences. We may even see apps hitting $100-300 for the right experiences and product.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Some apps have had their price rise pretty sharply in recent years.

For example, play offers a 1-time payment of $100.

Lookup would be around $60?

And also around $90 for infuse.

I feel that in general, users need to be willing to pay more for apps in order for them to be sustainable.

Reactions: Timo_Existencia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.