Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
I have seen some do it, but rarely. Depends on your health insurance provider. And then depends on the model you want. Likely only going to be aluminum and GPS-only. So if you want stainless steel and or LTE - you need to foot the bill. Or sell the free one and cover the difference.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
In the UK Vitality offered the Apple Watch S3 for free (£29 up front) if you kept active

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Not sure how it works in fine detail, but yes, download the app and I’m sure it shares your activities with them. I think just accessing the gym is enough but again I’m not 100% certain.

You pay anything from £0 - £29 pm iirc depending on how active you are.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
For most plans you will need a Letter of Medical Necessity (LMN) from your doctor stating that the device is directly related to a medical condition you have.

If you have one of those "catastrophic" health plans only, then almost certainly not.
I have a feeling they will tell you to go by a portable heart monitor and a fit bit. :p

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have a feeling they will tell you to go by a portable heart monitor and a fit bit. :p

For a consumer item with fitness tracking as only one of its many features, a typical plan will pay for the portion of the cost that is similar to a dedicated health device, assuming you have an LMN.

So for example if a typical heart monitor costs $200 but you buy a $20,000,000 gold plated, diamond-encrusted Bugatti Chiron with a heart monitor built into its steering wheel, the insurance company could theoretically cover $200 of the Bugatti and you'd have to cover the other $19,999,800.

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Just throwing a data point out. I submitted my Apple Watch first generation back in 2015 and put fitnesses tracker/ heart rate monitor. And it was approved. Worst case they deny it but it worked for me back then.

Reactions: scmill

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Yeah it’s going to depend on your plan. If you have a Flexible Spending Account for healthcare, you might be able to use that as well. Of course an FSA/HSA is your own money, but at least it’s not taxed as income... so it’s something of a discount.

My employer provided plan has me submit attestations saying whether or not I’m a smoker (I’m not) and whether I get regular activity (I do). Smokers get billed an extra $30 a month or so. Once they asked if I wear a fitness tracker, but with the caveat that it is just for informational purposes and they not offering discounts for wearing one at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.