Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

questionwonder

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I run a Macbook mid 2013 1.7 with 8Gb ram and I'm holding off on getting a new Macbook Pro with Kabby Lake because I upgraded to Windows 10 and the newest version of VMWare Fusion and Windows runs pretty good and Visual Studio (latest) runs pretty good as well inside the VM. With all previous versions of these software packages my Macbook Air would run the fan constantly and the CPU was always high (>90%) and I had to restart a few times throughout the day. Now things run pretty good!

So my question.
I know High Sierra uses the new Apple File System and will improve the SSD performance, so should I see an improvement when running Mac OS, VMWare Fusion and Visual Studio inside the VM?? Does anyone know if metal 2 will help with VMWare graphics improvement?

Does anyone have any High Sierra beta benchmarks on running Windows 10 in a VM?

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
So my question.
I know High Sierra uses the new Apple File System and will improve the SSD performance, so should I see an improvement when running Mac OS, VMWare Fusion and Visual Studio inside the VM?? Does anyone know if metal 2 will help with VMWare graphics improvement?

First, I always do clean installs and don't relay on time machine. So, clean installs.

I have a MacBook Air (mid)2013 8GB and a MacBook Pro (mid)2015 and the MacBook Air with Sierra runs virtual machines faster than the MacBook Pro with 16 GB. When the MacBook Pro was on Sierra, the virtual machines were really fast.

Definitely, something is wrong with High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.