Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tupshall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
If I were to take my iPhone and iPad (used as HomeKit hub) on vacation with me, will the current events setup within the Home App continue to work or does this require a hub to be inside the house. I know that remote control will not work without the hub.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
The device acting as a hub must remain in the house for the automations (events) to work. There’s not going to be a device to issue the command if it’s out of the house.

tupshall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
The device acting as a hub must remain in the house for the automations (events) to work. There’s not going to be a device to issue the command if it’s out of the house.

Yea, that's what i thought. To bad the commands are not issued from your iCloud account.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Yea, that's what i thought. To bad the commands are not issued from your iCloud account.
That would be technically impossible for many of the HomeKit-exclusive devices (e.g. Elgato Eve, which uses BTLE communication) because they don't have a way to directly access the internet - hence the hub.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Which devices specifically?

Many HomeKit devices also have native apps that work through their own hubs or directly. For example you can use Philips Hue and/or Ecobee through their own apps and they can setup on their own routines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.