Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Will iPad Pro get improved monitor support in iOS 15? Maybe they will surprise us in the fall? I’m a teacher and this feature would help me out so much to hook up my iPad to my smart board to present to my class. I tried taking an Apple TV to school, but I was not allowed to connect it to the school wifi.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
There’s no guarantee that they ever will. However, this is something that they could do with a point release like they did with mouse support. But the fact that they didn’t mention it at WWDC means it wouldn’t be soon.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Will iPad Pro get improved monitor support in iOS 15? Maybe they will surprise us in the fall? I’m a teacher and this feature would help me out so much to hook up my iPad to my smart board to present to my class. I tried taking an Apple TV to school, but I was not allowed to connect it to the school wifi.
Rewatch the keynote.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Most likely no. Don't buy it only to fantasize later on features that are not coming.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I am starting to think this as well. But it took forever to get mouse/trackpad support so maybe there is some hope at some distant time...

Out of WWDC, it appears that Apple is looking at a broader integrated environment, one that includes a Mac and that's where the monitor support comes from. I don't think iPad + monitor fits in this vision.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Universal Control is primarily a Mac feature aimed at Mac power users. I don’t see it as being much for iPad users. Especially for those of us who don’t use Macs. And it’s never been Apple’s modus operandi to withhold features from devices to protect the turf of another device.

I think Apple does have something coming for iPad-only users who want monitor support. We just don’t know what it is or why it’s taking so long.

Reactions: Juandagis

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Out of WWDC, it appears that Apple is looking at a broader integrated environment, one that includes a Mac and that's where the monitor support comes from. I don't think iPad + monitor fits in this vision.
An integrated evironment doesn’t preclude iPad + Monitor. You can have Mac + Monitor or iPad + monitor. Or you can have both that work together.

iPad + Monitor still fits into their integrated vision. The monitor becomes an extension of the iPad. It’s not a killer of integrated use between your ipad and Mac.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
All signs point to this. But damn, it would make my iPad so much more usable!

Reactions: sparksd

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
That’s an interesting thought, and it wouldn’t take up any more space than a stand alone monitor.

I was guessing that the feature would come alongside an Apple branded monitor that gives a seamless experience, but maybe I’m wrong about that.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
There was a wishy washy line in the Keynote about multi monitor support for 'apps that support it' or something.

Would really love them to add that to the multitasking panel options.

Reactions: Juandagis
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.