Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this. I know Apple usually launches new phones with the latest iOS, but this being an off-cycle introduction, do you know if it will have 9.3 or something earlier?

The reason I ask is: will I have to setup my SE as a new phone, upgrade it to 9.3, and then restore from my iPhone 5's 9.3 backup? I hope that's not the case, as it would confuse many people out there.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I asked the question a few days ago. Just make sure if there is an update between now and next week to 9.3.1, DO NOT UPDATE if you plan to restore from backup. Otherwise you will have to set the phone up as new, then update, then you can restore from backup. It is a non-issue if you set the phone up as new.

I made the mistake with the 6S. 9.0 had an update a few days before the 6S was actually delivered. It's not a big deal, but an unnecessary step.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
I asked the question a few days ago. Just make sure if there is an update between now and next week to 9.3.1, DO NOT UPDATE if you plan to restore from backup. Otherwise you will have to set the phone up as new, then update, then you can restore from backup. It is a non-issue if you set the phone up as new.

I made the mistake with the 6S. 9.0 had an update a few days before the 6S was actually delivered. It's not a big deal, but an unnecessary step.
Thanks for the tips!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this. I know Apple usually launches new phones with the latest iOS, but this being an off-cycle introduction, do you know if it will have 9.3 or something earlier?

The reason I ask is: will I have to setup my SE as a new phone, upgrade it to 9.3, and then restore from my iPhone 5's 9.3 backup? I hope that's not the case, as it would confuse many people out there.
In OS specs of the SE's page, it lists Night Shift as a feature, so the answer would have to be "Yes."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.