Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GabRRodrigues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

I lived in the US for 4 years, but due to financial problems I had to go back to my home country (Brazil). I have an iPhone 6s I bought on Verizon in their monthly instalments plan, and so far I've been paying the instalments regularly; the phone works fine with a Brazilian SIM card. Unfortunately, my dad had a stroke a month ago and lost his job, and my family doesn't have enough money to pay the remaining balance ($500). So, what happens now? Could Verizon somehow block my phone remotely, making it useless? Will I still be able to use it in Brazil? Thanks in advance.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

I lived in the US for 4 years, but due to financial problems I had to go back to my home country (Brazil). I have an iPhone 6s I bought on Verizon in their monthly instalments plan, and so far I've been paying the instalments regularly; the phone works fine with a Brazilian SIM card. Unfortunately, my dad had a stroke a month ago and lost his job, and my family doesn't have enough money to pay the remaining balance ($500). So, what happens now? Could Verizon somehow block my phone remotely, making it useless? Will I still be able to use it in Brazil? Thanks in advance.

Enjoy your phone in Brazil.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

Technically, if it gets blacklisted US carriers are supposed to share that in a global database, and conversely if blacklisted outside the US.

In reality, it rarely works that way. Which is why 617aircav told you to enjoy your phone in Brazil.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Funny story. A friend of mine bought a used UK blackberry in Nigeria. A year later he went to London on vacation and tried to activate it on vadaphone but could not. It was blacklisted. Lol.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.