Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bananabar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I was about to buy a Nikon P6000 but noticed this on Nikon's website:

"RAW format images from the P6000 can be opened and edited in Nikon’s View NX software (Windows version only), or in any other application that supports the WIC (Microsoft's Windows Image Component) codec."

I have iPhoto and Elements - will it work??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was about to buy a Nikon P6000 but noticed this on Nikon's website:

"RAW format images from the P6000 can be opened and edited in Nikon’s View NX software (Windows version only), or in any other application that supports the WIC (Microsoft's Windows Image Component) codec."

I have iPhoto and Elements - will it work??

Yikes, It costs more than a D40 and has way to many pixels for a P&S and is "Wndows only". I'd leave it alone.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I believe Photoshop Elements can now handle it through the latest Camera Raw. I'm pretty sure I saw an announcement to that effect - but check Adobe's site to be sure. In any case you're out of luck with iPhoto.

I wouldn't buy it because I personally don't want to support that sort of brain-dead decision making, even though I shoot a Nikon dSLR. But really, does the P6000 offer anything particularly compelling? When I read about it earlier, I didn't see anything.

bananabar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Wow - thanks for the heads-up. I use RAW from my D80 in iPhoto a lot of the time, so am surprised it won't work.

I guess I want a decent P&S with PASM and this looked good (and the time lapse video seemed a nice idea). Maybe I'll look more at the Panasonic TZ5...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.