Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dropped it face down and has two huge deep scratches along the left side of the notch about 1 inch long and a another in the corner of the screen . I just got this phone and im willing to fork over the 400 dollars it takes too get it done since it's not even a month old yet . I have a screen protector on it now in the meantime, but if I book an appointment with the genius bar, will they do it even if it's just a few deep cosmetic scratches?

I want the phone to be scratch free when I sell it for the 12 in September for maximum resale value.

I can't see apple refusing money since il pay 0ut of the box warranty price.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I bet they will but it’s kinda foolish to worry about max resale when you spend $400. Iphone, while holding their value better than Android, it’s no longer the same as 5 yrs ago where they lose 100-200 dollars value after 1 yr.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
I bet they will but it’s kinda foolish to worry about max resale when you spend $400. My xs max resale dropped to $800b after one year. That’s 256gb bought brand new unlock for $1350. Iphone, while holding their value better than Android, it’s no longer the same as 5 yrs ago where they lose 100-200 dollars value after 1 yr. Suppose you get this fix and you sell the phone for 900. Really not worth it to get it fix if resale is your primary reason.

Ok but if I don't wanna get it replaced they would do it ?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Did you buy Apple Care Plus? If not, Apple will replace the screen for $329.00. If you had Apple Care Plus, the cost would be $29. Likewise, I can't see Apple refusing to replace the screen. Apple Stores are closed until Mar 27 and you can bet they'll be crowded once they open again.

Reactions: tt061282

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Pay for the display to be replaced, not for a whole device replacement. You really don't want a refurbished iPhone in exchange for fixing a few scratches.

HALE101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Pay for the display to be replaced, not for a whole device replacement. You really don't want a refurbished iPhone in exchange for fixing a few scratches.
yeah just the screen , I think at some apple stores the do it same day , is that correct?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Dropped it face down and has two huge deep scratches along the left side of the notch about 1 inch long and a another in the corner of the screen . I just got this phone and im willing to fork over the 400 dollars it takes too get it done since it's not even a month old yet . I have a screen protector on it now in the meantime, but if I book an appointment with the genius bar, will they do it even if it's just a few deep cosmetic scratches?

I want the phone to be scratch free when I sell it for the 12 in September for maximum resale value.

I can't see apple refusing money since il pay 0ut of the box warranty price.

If you’re not willing to pay Apples price tag for a replacement display, then I would consider maybe a screen protector, it’s your cheapest alternative that would probably slightly conceal the scratches, but it depends on the severity/angle of light that may not hide them.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I have a screen protector on it now in the meantime, but if I book an appointment with the genius bar, will they do it even if it's just a few deep cosmetic scratches?

I am sure they would.

Is this the only reason? Why not just wait until September and pay for the replacement?

I just got this phone and im willing to fork over the 400 dollars it takes too get it done since it's not even a month old yet.
If you are only doing this for resale value, it may not be worth it.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
If the screen protector hides the scratches enough that it doesn't bother you then don't bother replacing it.

You may well get maximum resale if you have a perfect screen come September when you sell it, however, if you factor in the cost of the screen replacement itself you'll be worse of financially. The only reason to replace the screen would be if it bothers you!

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Given that the difference between one with deep scratches and one that is in "very good condition" maxes or at about $300 (for a top of the line model) I personally would have to place a top limit of $150-$200 for the repair (you're never going to get a flawless price as its now been repaired). Any more than that then you're risking throwing good money after bad in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.