Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
I have a launch day iPhone X which for the last few months has been suffering from the dreaded 'unresponsive screen'. In the beginning it could be fixed with a hard reset, but now even that doesn't work! Its very frustrating especially when you need to use your phone quickly or answer a call and this happens.

Looking online it seems a lot of people have suffered this issue and on contacting Apple, have been advised to reset their iPhone to factory settings which doesn't seem to have helped to resolve the issue. They then get an appointment with the Genius Bar where they are given a new iPhone X or a screen replacement. Although Apple have claimed that this is a software issue, these outcomes would indicate its actually a hardware issue.

I don't fancy resetting my iPhone to factory settings as its a bit of a pain setting up ApplePay and my banking apps all over again. So my question is "will the Genius Bar person know whether I have done the factory restore or not?" I don't want a new iPhone X, I just want them to take responsibility for a faulty £1150 device and replace the screen.

This is the first Apple product that I have ever had a issue with and I don't think I will buy another launch day device again, I'll wait a couple of month next time.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You really should get a new phone to solve this problem. Do an encrypted iTunes backup and restore to the new phone. That's the quickest way as it will restore passwords, wifi keys etc.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Normally, Apple would want to ensure users do the best the can first. If you take to an Apple, they will attempt to diagnose the problem if it is a hardware issue, if not then the tech will just reinstall the OS or restore the device and recommend you to use it as normal to see if the issue will reoccur. Hence, I recommend you to do an iTunes encrypted backup and save whatever you can using alternative backup. Put the device into recovery mode and “Update” the device while preserving your data. Test it out for a few hours. If it still occurs then use iTunes to store the device to new state then set up device as new for a few minutes/hours and then restore the backup using iTunes. Then take it to Apple store again.

No they can’t.
Yes, they can based on GSX if it was re-activated recently.

Last edited:

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Your a newbie , clearly you have no idea how diagnostic information works.

If you restore from backup they have no idea.

Being a newbie means nothing. I’ve been browsing this website for over 10 years and decided to sign up now.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If you restore from backup they have no idea.

Being a newbie means nothing. I’ve been browsing this website for over 10 years and decided to sign up now.

They can easily tell if someone has restored from backup or restored as new. They've been able to see this since around the time iCloud was introduced.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will do an iTunes backup (as has been suggested) and then reset to factory settings and then use the phone until it freezes again. I am 99% certain that the problem will remain based on other people's experiences with the same issue.

Does anyone know if restoring from the iTunes backup will set-up Apple Pay and my banking apps without me having to register my payment info again as it will be the same IMEI number for the device?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Thank you all for your advice. I think I will do an iTunes backup (as has been suggested) and then reset to factory settings and then use the phone until it freezes again. I am 99% certain that the problem will remain based on other people's experiences with the same issue.

Does anyone know if restoring from the iTunes backup will set-up Apple Pay and my banking apps without me having to register my payment info again as it will be the same IMEI number for the device?
Make sure you tick “Encrypted Backup”.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know what the restore portion has to do with it necessarily. If the phone isn't functioning as it should and it's a common issue, then I am sure Apple will fix or replace. I only had an issue with a speck of dust in my iPhone 4 camera, but they replaced it no questions asked.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
I don't know what the restore portion has to do with it necessarily. If the phone isn't functioning as it should and it's a common issue, then I am sure Apple will fix or replace. I only had an issue with a speck of dust in my iPhone 4 camera, but they replaced it no questions asked.
I suppose they are trying to rule out a software issue by seeing if the phone functions properly if set-up as a 'new' phone. I don't think Apple will ever publicly admit that its a hardware issue and bearing in mind the number of units they sell its probably less than 1% of all units. I've just been unfortunate that it has happened to mine.

Obviously you know a speck of dust can't be fixed with a factory reset :)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I suppose they are trying to rule out a software issue by seeing if the phone functions properly if set-up as a 'new' phone. I don't think Apple will ever publicly admit that its a hardware issue and bearing in mind the number of units they sell its probably less than 1% of all units. I've just been unfortunate that it has happened to mine.

Obviously you know a speck of dust can't be fixed with a factory reset :)

Yea I just figured that regardless, you should be okay. Either the reset fixes the issue, or it doesn't and Apple replaces your phone. At least that's how it should work. Haha I tried the reset on mine and it was still there, I was furious with Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

Personally, I would make an encrypted backup then restore as new using iTunes.. This way erases all data and installs a fresh version of iOS..

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
Just throwing this out there but I had my screen replaced 2 months ago because of ghost touching (middle left screen was found problematic with diagnostics). I still have the non-responsive issue. It is very random for me- happens about 2-3 times a week and can happen when I’m doing anything (unlocking the phone, typing a text, clicking a link). I am a believer that it is a software issue and hoping it is resolved with ios12.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Just throwing this out there but I had my screen replaced 2 months ago because of ghost touching (middle left screen was found problematic with diagnostics). I still have the non-responsive issue. It is very random for me- happens about 2-3 times a week and can happen when I’m doing anything (unlocking the phone, typing a text, clicking a link). I am a believer that it is a software issue and hoping it is resolved with ios12.

Ghost touch and non-responsive problems are 99% caused by improper assembly. These issues were first encountered by repair shops with iPhone 7 due to the tight tolerances in the chassis resulting in pressure on the flex cables.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
UPDATE:

On Saturday the screen became unresponsive for almost all day. At about 11pm it worked so I done a backup to iCloud and then reset the phone. Once it had restarted, the screen was still unresponsive, so in the morning I took it to the Apple Store in Westfield and they replaced the screen. Now it's as good as new! I think I'll skip this year's iPhone and wait for next year's refreshed design :cool:

When I restored the phone, I was happy to find that the banking apps just needed a simple confirmation password and they all worked as before. The only things I had to set-up again were the Apple Pay and loyalty cards in the wallet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.