Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Even with solid reception (3 or 4 little green dots), LTE was spotty on my S3 when away from my iPhone. I often had trouble sending messages and Siri would just time out a lot of the time. Phone calls were fine when they connected, but occasionally wouldn't even dial out. Does anyone think we will see improved LTE performance, maybe with a better modem, improved antenna, or better reception through an all ceramic back, on the S4?

I've already sold my S3 in prep for an S4, so any improvements to LTE are icing on the cake for me. I've always thought the screen real-estate, even on the 42mm, was small with those massive bezels (which have become even more apparent since staring at an iPhone X all day).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do not see how it could be greatly improved as the antenna is still going to be small. I tried for 30 days but most the time my AW3 LTE showed no reception while my phone would show near full or full bars. Just was not worth it to me.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I suspect part of the issue is that the metal case models of AW is half a fahraday cage, which blocks reception fairly effectively from much of the device's surroundings. A guy in another thread reported that the ceramic watch was faster at at least finding the network.

More advanced signal processing could perhaps help some; maybe some additional work on the antennas. Maybe miracles cannot be expected. *shrug* We'll see in a day and a half, roughly! :p

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Better modem for sure, the S3 uses same modem as iPhone 6s.

The S4 side and crown buttons will be haptic buttons so that frees up space inside the enclosure.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This Is a difficult subject, because LTE is such a variable instance where everybody is depending on location. I never had an issue with LTE at all for any calls outgoing or incoming, but I have had excellent coverage in my area, but others may not necessarily have that consistent coverage based on tower location, ect. I have no concerns with LTE with the Apple Watch.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
This Is a difficult subject, because LTE is such a variable instance where everybody is depending on location. I never had an issue with LTE at all for any calls outgoing or incoming, but I have had excellent coverage in my area, but others may not necessarily have that consistent coverage based on tower location, ect. I have no concerns with LTE with the Apple Watch.
I was a little disappointed with LTE performance because I am in a major metropolitan area and my iPhone would never have a connectivity issue in the some of the places my watch alone struggled.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I live out in the woods and get about two bars in my yard with my iPhone. The Apple Watch was constantly bouncing between a signal and then no signal. It really did a number on the battery life. Maybe 10% in 30-45 minutes. When disabled, it was about 1-2% tops.

If I drove in to town, the watch would be disconnected for half the trip and then would be full signal. I loved having it, but with AT&T charging me about $15 after taxes, it wasn’t worth it, so I finally cancelled.

I would still get the LTE series 4 for future use or a deal with AT&T.

Reactions: oeagleo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I was a little disappointed with LTE performance because I am in a major metropolitan area and my iPhone would never have a connectivity issue in the some of the places my watch alone struggled.

I think there are so many variances and intricacies why your watch may not have had good LTE coverage, it’s difficult to pinpoint exactly why. But I honestly have never had an issue with it indoors or outdoors with any LTE service concerns. I think you will find out that there will be a lot of inconsistent results with those who have excellent LTE service and others who may have struggled like yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.