Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Hi, new to this forum. I have a 2010 Mac Pro 8 core, 2.4ghz and I am thinking of upgrading to a 12 core. I note a few people have used the w3680 processors in the 2010 machine but only when it is single core to take it from a 4 to a 6 core. Can I use the w3680 processors as a pair? cheapest I am seeing these in the EU is around £175 a piece - does that sound about right?
Am I also right is saying that for the 2010 Mac Pro you do NOT delid the processors but simply do a straight swap (after cleaning and new thermal paste etc)?

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
Hi, new to this forum. I have a 2010 Mac Pro 8 core, 2.4ghz and I am thinking of upgrading to a 12 core. I note a few people have used the w3680 processors in the 2010 machine but only when it is single core to take it from a 4 to a 6 core. Can I use the w3680 processors as a pair? cheapest I am seeing these in the EU is around £175 a piece - does that sound about right?
Am I also right is saying that for the 2010 Mac Pro you do NOT delid the processors but simply do a straight swap (after cleaning and new thermal paste etc)?
You can't pair W3680. Use the X5680 instead.

You do not delid for the 2010 Mac Pro.

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
You can't pair W3680. Use the X5680 instead.

You do not delid for the 2010 Mac Pro.
Phew, that was a close call then, thanks for the info, The X5680 only seems available 2nd hand - I'm guessing that's because they're fairly old now.

glynster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks to you all for the reassurance. This may sound like a stupid question but are there any other variables or choices I need to be aware of or will literally any processor labelled and sold as an "Intel Xeon X5680" work?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Thanks to you all for the reassurance. This may sound like a stupid question but are there any other variables or choices I need to be aware of or will literally any processor labelled and sold as an "Intel Xeon X5680" work?

They are pretty much the same with one exception the voltage they will run at when in the machine. When chips are manufactured they are tested in a process called binning where their voltage id is set, now the lower the VID as it is called the better as the chip will consume less power and run cooler as a result. This is to some extent not applicable in a mac as you do not get the voltage control in the BIOS you would with PC machine but I do believe a mac will run the chip at the VID it has.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
And make sure they are not ES version (engineering sample), they are usually much cheaper than the official released version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.