Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClodMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
I have a Mid-2015 (15-inch) MBP that I got from Best Buy with 256GB. I also got Geek Squad and Apple Care. I have been looking to upgrade my storage (but might also have a shop do it). I was wondering if upgrading will void my warranty. Please help

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
If you get an updated SSD you can always put your old working SSD back in the laptop in case you need to send it for repair. Here is another option to extend your storage up to 200GB

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have a Mid-2015 (15-inch) MBP that I got from Best Buy with 256GB. I also got Geek Squad and Apple Care. I have been looking to upgrade my storage (but might also have a shop do it). I was wondering if upgrading will void my warranty. Please help
No it will not automatically void your warranty. But you do take on some risk because if something goes wrong, Apple could try and say it is because you messed something up installing the drive.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

ClodMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
You can always put your old SSD back for repair or something. Here is another option to extend your storage
Yeah, but why would I, it works, and I would just get back the same SSD. This is what I'm looking at. Big internal storage where I can plug in an SD card and keep all of the apps I want while keeping my ports free

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, but why would I, it works, and I would just get back the same SSD. This is what I'm looking at. Big internal storage where I can plug in an SD card and keep all of the apps I want while keeping my ports free
I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just saying there is some risk. Even if you put the old drive back before taking it in, they could still try and say swapping those drives around you broke something.

I've swapped drives myself and it does not worry me that much, but the risk it there is all I am saying.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

SD Card? Those are SSDs. Check out the reviews on these before purchasing. Some people have had heat and other issues with Aura. Also, the Aura is slower than your original drive. Aura X may be different.

ClodMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2017
I'm not telling you not to do it, I'm just saying there is some risk. Even if you put the old drive back before taking it in, they could still try and say swapping those drives around you broke something.

I've swapped drives myself and it does not worry me that much, but the risk it there is all I am saying.

I wasn't talking to you, the guy before you said to send in the broken SSD, but the one in my MBP works fine, I'm just looking to upgrade it. Also, what would happen if I take it to Best Buy or don't tell them about the upgrade?
[doublepost=1518210339][/doublepost]
SD Card? Those are SSDs. Check out the reviews on these before purchasing. Some people have had heat and other issues with Aura. Also, the Aura is slower than your original drive. Aura X may be different.
I was replying to a previous reply where he suggested this as another option, and that is what I was referring to be SD cards. I probably could've worded it better, though

Last edited:

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
They meant that you would want to reinstall the original SSD should you ever require warranty work. It's a very easy swap, only one screw inside once the bottom plate is off.

The OWC probably looks different enough from original that it will be noticed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I was wondering if upgrading will void my warranty."

Well... that depends.

If you do the replacement, and have problems, an Apple genius bar might "void your warranty" on the grounds that you opened it and tried to replace [what they consider to be] a "non-user serviceable" part.

Then again, they might not.
You just don't know.
To paraphrase Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry, "well... do ya feel lucky, punk?"

My recommendation:
DON'T do it.
At least not until the warranty is expired, after which it will make no difference.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.