Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I was trying to take pictures of some flowers in my backyard today. My problem is that when there is good light there is also a slight breaze. To get enough DOF I have to use a slower shutter speed and a smaller aperture. Is there any tricks to getting the flower's to stop moving? Maybe block the wind somehow?

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Get one of those multi-colored beach wind-breaks, that's assuming you are near the beach. Another alternative is to construct something yourself, I don't think it should be too difficult .. :)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I was trying to take pictures of some flowers in my backyard today. My problem is that when there is good light there is also a slight breaze. To get enough DOF I have to use a slower shutter speed and a smaller aperture. Is there any tricks to getting the flower's to stop moving? Maybe block the wind somehow?
You could always use a ring flash. However, close-ups of flowers and other subjects work wonderfully on overcast days, and most times you don't need a flash on days like that.

A macro lens, or a good prime with a Kenko tube, can still provide you with excellent DOF on windy days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.