Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
Hello!

I am new on Mac. I changed from Windows to Mac 7 weeks ago and yes, it's a nightmare to get into my new system.
There are some things to learn. And there some things to understand. That's OK.
But what I definitely can't get into my head is the window management of the Mac - I talking about a different behavior while using maximized windows and not maximized windows. It's really killing my workflow that I'm not able to change windows of the same program with shortcut cmd+´ which is working fine with not maximized windows. Same thing with Mission Control: pressing ctrl + arrow down I could see all windows of the same App but not the maximized windows.
Is there anybody out there who could tell the sense of it?
(I hope my text is understandable, I'm German. But in german forums there was nobody who could explain me the window management.)

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Take a look at this video. https://macmost.com/3-different-ways-to-maximize-a-window-on-a-mac.html It does show a way (a bit awkward for me) to maximize windows like you would do on Microsoft Windows. The video describes double-clicking on a corner while holding the option key down. Windows maximized in this way participate with other non full screen windows with respect to cmd+`.

I found an older post that says you can click on the green icon while holding option and shift, but that doesn't seem to work for me. (I'm running Monterey.)

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Wenn du Mission Control aktivierst, solltest du eigentlich alle Fenster sehen. Die normalen am direkt am Schreibtisch und die Vollbild-Fenster am oberen Bildschirmrand.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Hello!

I am new on Mac. I changed from Windows to Mac 7 weeks ago and yes, it's a nightmare to get into my new system.
There are some things to learn. And there some things to understand. That's OK.
But what I definitely can't get into my head is the window management of the Mac - I talking about a different behavior while using maximized windows and not maximized windows. It's really killing my workflow that I'm not able to change windows of the same program with shortcut cmd+´ which is working fine with not maximized windows. Same thing with Mission Control: pressing ctrl + arrow down I could see all windows of the same App but not the maximized windows.
Is there anybody out there who could tell the sense of it?
(I hope my text is understandable, I'm German. But in german forums there was nobody who could explain me the window management.)
You might want to look at a couple of third party window management tool that may work better. I don't know that they would help your issue of toggling between windows within an app, but they do a better job of general window management than the built in method. Both can be setup to use various keyboard shortcuts and gestures to move and size the windows.
  • Moom
  • BetterSnapTool
While your at it, look at Bartender for keeping the menu bar icons under control

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
Wenn du Mission Control aktivierst, solltest du eigentlich alle Fenster sehen. Die normalen am direkt am Schreibtisch und die Vollbild-Fenster am oberen Bildschirmrand.
I answer in English (not to show how not native my English is, just because it's an international forum having English in common).
I think you talking about ctrl +UP arrow (instead of DOWN arrow - what I wrote above). Yes, of course, this is a possible to show ALL windows. But I doesn't have the possible to see ALL windows of ONLY ONE program.

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
Take a look at this video. https://macmost.com/3-different-ways-to-maximize-a-window-on-a-mac.html It does show a way (a bit awkward for me) to maximize windows like you would do on Microsoft Windows. The video describes double-clicking on a corner while holding the option key down. Windows maximized in this way participate with other non full screen windows with respect to cmd+`.

I found an older post that says you can click on the green icon while holding option and shift, but that doesn't seem to work for me. (I'm running Monterey.)
To me and for my workflow it is important to do the window changes with shortcuts. Having to click on something is really lame (I'm talking about fast, smooth and comfortable workflow).
I'll check out your hints, thank you for that!
Edit: But I fear that won't bring possibilities to do a window management with shortcuts. I fear that because I already see, that on Mac it's not usual to have global commands.
For example ctrl+cmd+f doesn't work with windows of GeoGebra and NeoOffice.
While trying to use splitview I can see a different behavior of TexStudio, Safari and "Preview".

I'm mad to state that - but the window management of Mac is worst thing I've ever seen. So on the one hand I'm not wondering about seeing so much Apps to "correct" or to bring alternative window management. On the other hand I don't understand why the Mac is offering something useless. Not only compared to windows - Linux doesn't have this "mysterious-maximized-window"-behavior too.

So I'm still in the question: why?

Last edited:

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
I watched the video from Gary. It bases on using the mouse. So I tried to build up shortcuts. That was possible for zoom. But what I'm really looking for is a shortcut for using the whole screen but don't get into the annoying full screen mode.

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
You might want to look at a couple of third party window management tool that may work better. I don't know that they would help your issue of toggling between windows within an app, but they do a better job of general window management than the built in method. Both can be setup to use various keyboard shortcuts and gestures to move and size the windows.
  • Moom
  • BetterSnapTool
While your at it, look at Bartender for keeping the menu bar icons under control
BetterSnapTool seems to base on using the mouse.
It's difficult to find out whether Moom has an option to switch to full-screen-sized-window without going into full-screen-mode BY SHORT CUT. Do you know whether this is possible with moom?

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I watched the video from Gary. It bases on using the mouse. So I tried to build up shortcuts. That was possible for zoom. But what I'm really looking for is a shortcut for using the whole screen but don't get into the annoying full screen mode.
I hate solutions that require the mouse.

Gary said that double clicking the corner while holding the option key down does make the window consume the entire desktop area without entering full screen mode. I believe you're saying it's not possible to duplicate that with some keyboard shortcut. Rats. :(

Lorz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2021
I hate solutions that require the mouse.

Gary said that double clicking the corner while holding the option key down does make the window consume the entire desktop area without entering full screen mode. I believe you're saying it's not possible to duplicate that with some keyboard shortcut. Rats. :(
Your hate is in the right place, body!

For my case - avoiding full screen mode, but getting windows maximized, moom brings a solution. So big big thank to @Tagbert!
Manual: Buy moom, 10 bucks (in Europe it's 9.95 Euros) away. Now you can choose "resize" and set 1920 x 1080. Hotkey could be alt+cmd+a. It works fine with EVERY application - at this point I'm laughing out LOUDLY. The Laughter is because of: The Mac naturally doesn't get it to manage all applications, see my examples above. But moom can.
Now I really have to rush to prepare the ceremony for this evening. Such a success with the window management has to be celebrated.
Thanx to all you guys for helping with this issue!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I’m a big fan of Divvy. It’s similar to Mom but has more configurability. I have one hot key for moving a window to occupy the left 4/9 of the screen, another for the next 4/9, a third for the left 5/9, and a fourth to occupy the entire screen (but not full screen mode).

Reactions: rmadsen3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.