Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sokolovv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Hello all,

So recently i've run into a rather confusing issue. I run a windows 10 partition on my Imac pro and have been regularly using it for around a year now. It was acting up around a day ago (the game I was playing was very laggy & my internet connection was fine) so I restarted my computer. Windows started preforming an automatic repair and when it finished brought me to a blue screen that said "choose an option". I didn't think much of it and chose "return to windows 10" and booted back up into the windows hard drive, however it just loaded me into a screen where it said "preparing automatic repair" and then back to the "choose an option" screen. From there I tried everything. Both reset and restore options won't work. The repair startup/boot won't work. I went into the command bar and used various commands such as bootrec /rebuildbcd which did something however the commands bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot say "cannot find the specified file". I also ran a chkdsk command which did something for about an hour but when I restarted the same thing happened. I'm fairly uneducated with this stuff as I have been a long time mac user. But i'd appreciate any help I can get!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Do you have any data that is crucial and not backed up? Windows has a habit of rotting and eventually committing suicide, and a clean new installation is typically the fastest and easiest fix

Reactions: satcomer

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Strange thing happened to me today. Windows 10 Pro has been working flawlessly since install a few weeks ago. I haven't booted into Win since I've been out of town for about a week. Today I tried to boot to Win and get only a black screen.

Yes, I have an EFI video card.

Right now I'm restoring the backup Win Image file back to the bootcamp partition to see what happens. I have no clue why the sudden change in behavior.

Restore just completed, so I'll see if that fixed my issue.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well, NO JOY!

I can't get Windows 10 to work no matter what I do. Now to make matters even worse, Once again... A bogus drive has appeared in my macOS system that gives my an error on each boot (You have inserted a drive that can't be read, or words to that effect). Ejecting the drive does no good, it remounts the non-existent drive and loops through the error over and over.

Diskutil says it's "HP Install Media..."
I don't have an HP, an HP drive, an HP USB, and I didn't even plug in a usb so far.

I guess I'll have to also do another install of High Sierra, since it even shows up when I boot to my cloned drive.

Side-note... Winclone sucks... I have several WIN10 backup images, and it won't reinstall because of not being able to find the original UUID...

WIN10 seemed to install from CD Legacy mode just fine, it just won't boot. Black screen only... My card is an EFI card and I didn't have this problem last time so I don't get it...

Anyway, I'll stop posting here and highjacking this thread. Right now I'm trying to import it into a VM to see if I can get that to work. I may be able to install all the drives from there and get a native boot. IDK.

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Do you have any data that is crucial and not backed up? Windows has a habit of rotting and eventually committing suicide, and a clean new installation is typically the fastest and easiest fix
I have just read your post and thought maybe you have an answer to my own new thread to be found above:rolleyes:.
I have done exactly what you say and made a new clean install of Bootcamp Windows 10.
However now the start up option key choice gives me two Bootcamp entries although of course only one Bootcamp Win 10 is installed in the only SSD inner drive of my MacPro:mad:.
Any suggestion how to settle this strange start up menu would be very appreciated!:)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have just read your post and thought maybe you have an answer to my own new thread to be found above:rolleyes:.
I have done exactly what you say and made a new clean install of Bootcamp Windows 10.
However now the start up option key choice gives me two Bootcamp entries although of course only one Bootcamp Win 10 is installed in the only SSD inner drive of my MacPro:mad:.
Any suggestion how to settle this strange start up menu would be very appreciated!:)

What do you get as the output of diskutil list in Terminal? (macOS).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
however it just loaded me into a screen where it said "preparing automatic repair" and then back to the "choose an option" screen.
I ran into that once with my Mac as well, for me, I just reinstalled windows. Sadly, it seems windows on my Mac seems so sensitive to issues. I never had issues like this on a regular pc. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.