Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heathom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Hi apologies if i sound like a broken record . I have a Mac Pro 5.1 running Mojave in one drive bay (on an SSD) and Windows 10 on another HDD instead of running on a partitioned drive . I originally did this before updating to Mojave using bootcamp which is no longer supported .
I first of all tried cloning the Windows 10 HDD to an SSD but that wouldn't boot so have tried a clean install of Windows 10 ( from a Windows DVD I've used before) but during the setup it keeps rebooting and then ultimately tells me that Windows didn't install correctly .
Any suggestions ? What am i doing wrong ..

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Would suggest temporarily removing the Mojave drive, leaving only the target drive for the Windows install in the Mac.
That should allow the install to proceed, and you can put the Mojave drive back in after it's done.

heathom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
thanks, i had removed the both the Mojave drive and the Windows HDD , leaving in only the new SSD . Whilst installing windows it would keep rebooting, i even got as far as the login window after installing and then the drive would go into an endless reboot cycle and finally say that Windows 10 hadn't properly installed . The Drive shows up as "EFI Boot"

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
thanks, i had removed the both the Mojave drive and the Windows HDD , leaving in only the new SSD . Whilst installing windows it would keep rebooting, i even got as far as the login window after installing and then the drive would go into an endless reboot cycle and finally say that Windows 10 hadn't properly installed . The Drive shows up as "EFI Boot"

wow, thats bad.

As you wrote in the first post you had used the DVD. But Efi Boot says you are using an Uefi Windows messing your NVRAM with certificates.

you should check the bootrom for certs.

my tool does it. If you have a bootrom backup you can flash it back with one without certificate.

heathom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
A bit of an update as I've finally managed to install Windows 10 on the SSD . Instead of booting up the dvd installer holding down the C key i used Option instead which gave the the choice of EFI Boot or Windows to install from , the latter made the correct two partitions instead of four and finally I went through a stable installation . I was then able to install drivers using Brigadier and get Apple Software Update running to enable speakers etc .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.