Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, after many attempts, and grueling hours, sleepless nights always and days (w/ burn in), the problem was simple but hard to find (solution was to unplug the ethernet), I finally got to update Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro for future proofing but as soon I plug in the Cat5e cable to connect to the internet and update things, Windows 11 immediately goes into BSOD. On Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, it's all good.

It's a catch-22, if I need to update things using Windows Update so it's stable but if I get into the internet it crashes. Of all the parts and problem it was the less likely LAN (most likely the drivers for Windows 11. If you plug in the ethernet when it fresh install Windows 11 or upgrade from Windows 10, it crashes (I unplugged it so it can upgrade Windows 10).

I disabled the LAN in the BIOS for now (the board is an Asrock G41C-GS GA / Rev. 1.02

I could download and update it manually but what driver or file must I download and instuall manuallly to update Windows 11?

When I upgraded to Windows 11 it didn't have this problem, it's the new 22H2 Windows 11 Pro it seems.

The LAN controller or chips seems to be:
Realtek PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN RTL8111DL

Thank you.

Last edited:

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Update by God's amazing grace (that was grueling a month of hardwork and sleepless nights):

it's fixed now, I found the driver for the Realtek network card and for good measure I installed it in safe mode.

Twardy

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2023
Hello, could you help me?
I have the same problem after upgrade to Win11 with connecting the Ethernet cable, how did you match the driver and where did you find it?

You used the device menager path?
Properties\ Details \Hardware Ids = PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_76811462&REV_06 ?

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, I've forgotten this (I didn't even know I had this problem, until now). After looking at my motherboard's manual to see what was the model and brand of the ethernet network, with the Google search, I remember just right clicking to open to a new tab (kind of "seek and you shall find" even if it was a grueling search), a lot of the links that seems to have a download for my driver (I always check the files with anti-virus), the links that seem to be promising, until I found the Windows 11 driver for my quite an old networking hardware (I think it might have a Windows 10 driver as well, since most Windows 10 will work with Windows 11).

I think I downloaded the ethernet drivers that looked promising for Bothe Windows 10 and 11 (it may have been a lot from different websites) from the iMac and then put it on a flash drive and then installed it on the PC in Safe Mode and used the Device Manager to manually install it.

Thanks. Happy Easter.

DcraigH

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2023
I found a simple fix for this issue, no searching for drivers, or trial and error playing driver roulette, or anything. Just use a USB Ethernet Adapter. Quick, simple and blazing fast. :cool:

I also had this problem with an older HP, as soon as I installed Win11 and was stumped when I realized the BSOD was caused by the Ethernet cable. I appreciate the OP posting about this issue because it told me I was not alone, and what the basic problem was. Unfortunately the OP didn't provide a fix or any helpful info, and left us on our own.

I had an inexpensive USB Ethernet Adapter dongle on hand so I decided to try it. I'm happy to report Win11 is fine using the USB Ethernet Adapter. No issues whatsoever.

Hope others will find this helpful.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
I found a simple fix for this issue, no searching for drivers, or trial and error playing driver roulette, or anything. Just use a USB Ethernet Adapter. Quick, simple and blazing fast. :cool:

I also had this problem with an older HP, as soon as I installed Win11 and was stumped when I realized the BSOD was caused by the Ethernet cable. I appreciate the OP posting about this issue because it told me I was not alone, and what the basic problem was. Unfortunately the OP didn't provide a fix or any helpful info, and left us on our own.

I had an inexpensive USB Ethernet Adapter dongle on hand so I decided to try it. I'm happy to report Win11 is fine using the USB Ethernet Adapter. No issues whatsoever.

Hope others will find this helpful.
Thanks. I remember solving this issue last year but I forgot how I did it. I have another Windows 11 installation anyway.

If I have time I'll try Windows 11 again on this Windows to Go attempt. I think I may have installed Windows 10 first (or maybe even earlier, Windows 8.1) and then that installed the drivers through Windows Update and then I believe I installedd Windows 11 over that, using the installer that can be used while you're booted to Windows 10 (not a USB installer). Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.