Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
I spilled my coffee on my girlfriends acer she uses for school and after taking it all apart, cleaning everything out and reflowing the motherboard, it's dead.

She needs it for school so I took her hard drive out and popped it into my early 2011 MacBook Pro and to my suprise it booted up straight away however when it's loading, it starts up with the Windows 7 boot screen then quickly flashes blue and restarts, I've tried the repair utility but I've never used Windows 7 on a MBP.

She insists that learning a whole new operating system (OS X) to do her school work until she gets a new laptop is not an option even though Office uses many of the same commands on both PC and Mac so I want to keep this strictly Windows 7 only, no OS X so there is nothing she can do that can go wrong ike accidently letting it boot straight into OS X instead of holding down Option to open the boot menu. Only Windows 7 install or even just repair this hard drive to work with my MacBook Pro.

Any idea's what I'm in for here? She needs it working by tomorrow and I don't wanna throw down $800 for an equivalint PC laptop right now so I would rather let her use my MacBook Pro with her HDD until I save up some money to play with so buying her a new laptop won't be much of an impact on my wallet :p

I've already backed all of her files up so I can do a fresh install if I can't get this HDD to play nice and my trusty copy of Windows 7 on hand. I also made a USB Flash drive of my OS X 10.8 download if I need that at a last resort.

Last edited:

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I spilled my coffee on my girlfriends acer she uses for school and after taking it all apart, cleaning everything out and reflowing the motherboard, it's dead.

She needs it for school so I took her hard drive out and popped it into my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro and to my suprise it booted up straight away however when it's loading it starts up with the Windows 7 boot screen then quickly flashes blue and restarts, I've tried the repair utility but I've never used Windows 7 on a MBP.

She insists that learning a whole new operating system (OS X) to do her school work until she gets a new laptop is not an option even though Office uses many of the same commands on both PC and Mac so I want to keep this strictly Windows 7 only, no OS X so there is nothing she can do that can go wrong ike accidently letting it boot straight into OS X instead of holding down Option to open the boot menu. Only Windows 7 install or even just repair this hard drive to work with my MacBook Pro.

Any idea's what I'm in for here? She needs it working by tomorrow and I don't wanna throw down $800 for an equivalint PC laptop right now so I would rather let her use my MacBook Pro with her HDD until I save up some money to play with so buying her a new laptop won't be much of an impact on my wallet :p

I've already backed all of her files up so I can do a fresh install if I can't get this HDD to play nice and my trusty copy of Windows 7 on hand. I also made a USB Flash drive of my OS X 10.8 download if I need that at a last resort.

Install Windows 7 via bootcamp and then change the startup disk to windows

To change the boot sequence:
System Preferences
Startup Disk
Select the system you want (Mac or Windows)

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
That still requires installing OS X and taking up valuable storage space on her tiny 320GB HDD. I found another method so far but I'm still running into problems here and there.
I'll let you know how this goes but so far I put in my OS X 10.8 USB I made and formatted the HDD to FAT 32 and inserted my Windows 7 DVD and restared the MBP holding the Option(Alt) key and the DVD popped right up after I heard it spinning around. I selected the DVD icon and it just started right up into the Windows 7 installer, even showed the HDD no problem because it was in FAT 32 and then formatted the HDD in the Windows Installer to NTSC and now Windows 7 is installed on the MBP however I don't have any of the BootCamp drivers so I'm now looking for an external way to install them without using OS X. I found one way but to do this I need to know which Mac Identifier I have but now that I no longer have OS X on this I can't find out that information so I'm finding other means to do so.

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
I used http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html to find out which Mac Identifier my MBP is and then I used http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/download-bootcamp-drivers to download the bootcamp drivers without having OS X and I opened all the files on my iMac and copied the windows installation files to a usb drive and it installed perfectly, everything went without a hitch and I now have ONLY Windows 7 working fully on my MBP. HOWEVER! There is still the little BootCamp icon in the taskbar used for switching back to OS X and I wuold like to remove that since there is no OS X,.

Does anyone know how to remove the bootcamp icon from the taskbar in Windows 7?

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I used http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-13-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html to find out which Mac Identifier my MBP is and then I used http://www.cafe-encounter.net/p682/download-bootcamp-drivers to download the bootcamp drivers without having OS X and I opened all the files on my iMac and copied the windows installation files to a usb drive and it installed perfectly, everything went without a hitch and I now have ONLY Windows 7 working fully on my MBP. HOWEVER! There is still the little BootCamp icon in the taskbar used for switching back to OS X and I wuold like to remove that since there is no OS X,.

Does anyone know how to remove the bootcamp icon from the taskbar in Windows 7?

Click the arrow left hand side of the notification area and then select customise.

Find bootcamp in the list and select Hide icon and notifications

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Change-how-icons-appear-in-the-notification-area

Last edited:

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
Thank you very much, that worked perfect. For some reason it wouldn't go away until I restarted.. haha.. Windows..

Thanks for the help :D

Last edited:

helios16v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Earth
Okay, new problem. I had it all working just fine and last night I just finished the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Update and when I turned the MacBook Pro back on this morning my f keys no longer work as the laptop functions, with or without the fn key held I can't adjust brightness, volume, any of that stuff.

Do I need to reinstall the BootCamp drivers after Service Pack 1 was installed? I don't understand why it's not starting up anymore since that update.

EDIT:
I don't know what happened but I turned the laptop back on and it just worked fine, no problems at all other then the fan either working on full or not at all so I installed SMC Fan Controller for Windows and everything works perfectly now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.