Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clarinet Hawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I'm trying to instal Windows 7 on my 2010 iMac after having to replace the hard-drive. I have an ISO (legally obtained), as well as two install DVDs burned from that ISO. However, my SuperDrive will no longer recognize the files on DVD-Rs (it thinks all of them are blank DVDs, yet can read other DVDs and CDs without issue).

Because my mac is older, it does not natively support creating an installation USB drive. I have, however, edited the BootCamp plist to enable that function. It will create the WINNINSTALL drive and partition the HDD, but when it reboots, Windows cannot find the boot drive. When holding option on boot, I cannot access the bootcamp partition nor the USB install drive.

I have tried to follow the instructions at http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/install-windows-on-mac/. However, when it comes to launching WMware to instal to the virtual disk, WMware will not open.

If anyone can provide me with some assistance, that would be most appreciated. For reference, I am running a mid-2010 27' iMac; 2.8GhZ i5; 12 GB 1333 RAM.

Thank you in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.