Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krammig

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2021
I have been running a duel boot on a Macbook running Big Sur.

Today the Windows side of things will not boot up, error 0x000021a

From booting into Mac I can see all my folders in BOOTCAMP which is fine and I can access them.

However if I click on the Windows folder Finder just hangs trying. So I just want to reinstall Windows and see if that fixes it.

I'm not too concerned about this as long as I can reinstall Windows as I would on a Windows machine. But my concern is, will I mess up my MacOS environment ?

By this I mean ;

a) can I just boot up off a Windows 10 CD and then do an Install or Update etc, and just target the BOOTCAMP partition, or is this going to affect the Mac side of things.

I tried running BootCamp Assistant but that just gets about halfway through and hangs.

I tried getting into F8 as one would in Windows but could not seem to get there.

So, bottom line is, is it safe for me to boot from a Windows CD and do a Repair or reinstall of Windows directly to the BOOTCAMP partition ?

Thanks

EDIT

It seems I can now see the Windows folder from Finder when in the MacOS

carylee2002

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2008
Press and hold the power button on the case of your PC for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a hard shut down.
Wait a few seconds and start your PC, does it boot into Windows normally?
If id does, was tis a one time crash or an on-going problem?
If it does not boot into Windows normally, can you get into Safe Mode using these steps?
Start your PC, just as Windows attempts to load (spinning dots), press and hold Power Button for 5 - 10 seconds to perform a Hard Shut Down
Do this twice
On the third start Windows will boot into the Recovery Environment and from there you can access System Repair, Safe Mode, Command Prompt... etc.
Go to Troubleshoot - Advanced Option - Startup Settings and click Restart
Upon restart, press 5 to enter Safe Mode

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.