Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glittergyrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Hello!

A few months back I started to get a screen pop up on startup called windows.plst (see image attached). I have searched online to see how to get rid of this but have come up empty.

I was on Sierra previously and upgraded but that has not taken care of this problem.

Does anyone know what this might be and how to fix it?

Specs:
MacBook Pro Retina 15 Inch Early 2013
MAC OS Mojave 10.14.5
Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16GB RAM 160 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 13.09.42.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 13.09.42.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 282

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just take a look at the menu bar to see what the active application is. By default, documents and apps that are open when you log out or shutdown are reopened when you log in or restart. Just close that document and/or app and it won’t open at login.

glittergyrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
That is a property list document. An application would be opening it, could it be in your login items?
Sorry for the late reply. Was travelling for work. Is there a way to tell what application would open that? I am not sure how to see what programs are opening on startup. Is there a way to find out so I can stop them from opening on startup to methodically rule out which program might be doing this?

glittergyrl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
Just take a look at the menu bar to see what the active application is. By default, documents and apps that are open when you log out or shutdown are reopened when you log in or restart. Just close that document and/or app and it won’t open at login.
Sorry for the late reply. Was travelling for work. Is there a way to tell what application would open that?

I have Bartender working to hide top bar items. I always close everything down and run CCleaner on my system before I shut down, so I am not sure how to see what programs are opening on startup. Nothing should be left over from a previous session.

Is there a way to find out so I can stop startup items from opening on startup to methodically rule out which program might be doing this? The first screenshot is my top bar without bartender Expanded, the second is with Bartender expanded. Bartender is a program to manage menu bar icons.
https://www.macbartender.com/
Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 14.42.37.png
Screenshot 2019-07-23 at 14.42.51.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.