Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenonfire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Hi there,

Running out of ideas so figured I'd post here.

I've got a Mac Pro 5,1 from Mid 2010 running Mojave. I got it for free from an old workplace, and set it up to run essentially as a plex server with some windows shares accessible from the rest of my home network. Back then I worked in an place with a mac server environment so I left it at that.
Earlier this year I got bored and upgraded the CPU to one of the 3.3Ghz 6 core Xeons, stuck in 32gb of Ram, and picked up an old HD7970 for around £50/$75. Stuck all that in and it does ok.
However, I am getting to the point where I want to use the Mac as, essentially, a shell of ok hardware with which to run a server environment. So ideally I want to install Windows Server on the machine, fill it with NAS drives and just let it function as a storage space. I don't really care about keeping MacOS, I would happily have it run as a windows machine for the rest of its days.

With all of Apple's locking down etc. nowadays, is it actually possible for me to turn the machine into a completely windows server box? Or am I going to be wasting my time?

If anyone has any tutorials on installing Windows server onto these machines please point me in their direction.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.