Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PandaNix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
I have Apple Care and I want to wipe my dud of MBP before I take it on in case they keep it.

Dumb question but will everything I have on it be backed up in iCloud or do I need to save it elsewhere. Like I have some movies in downloads etc.

Also - how do I wipe it? Restore to factory setting like on the phone or?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I have Apple Care and I want to wipe my dud of MBP before I take it on in case they keep it.

Dumb question but will everything I have on it be backed up in iCloud or do I need to save it elsewhere. Like I have some movies in downloads etc.

Also - how do I wipe it? Restore to factory setting like on the phone or?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Simply stated...

You had better have a PHYSICAL backup -- a hard drive or SSD -- of everything on it --- BEFORE you send it in to Apple...

Reactions: PandaNix

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Nothing on it will be in iCloud unless you put it there. macOS does not do backups to iCloud.

If you do not have backups, now is an excellent time to start.

Reactions: PandaNix

PandaNix

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Nothing on it will be in iCloud unless you put it there. macOS does not do backups to iCloud.

If you do not have backups, now is an excellent time to start.
Nothing at all? Oh glad I checked then!

I thought the downloads wasn't backed up, but I thought settings and apps was as it's all the same Apple ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.