Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Franjelisco

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
Greece 🏛️☀️🌊
Hello I just purchased a pair of Wireless beats 2 studio. I used them at a 6-hour train trip and I didn't have any problems, but today I woke up with a headache, which eventually went away after about half an hour. I also own a pair of Powerbeats 2 wireless, with which I didnt experience such problems, but radiation was always a concern of mine when purchasing wireless ear pieces. I listen to music many hours a day and I can't live without it. Will bluetooth have any affect on my health, will I experience more headaches and diziness? I absolutely love the comfort of going wireless but I must think about my well-being too. Any thoughts?

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I don't think it's a concern with bluetooth, a cell phone may be a different story. The jury's still out on that.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
You may be confusing the word radiation with radiowaves.

Of course it is a source of radiation. It's not a fantasy creation that he's got plugged in his ears - it's a darn radio:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Implementation

"Bluetooth" is emitting radio waves and electromagnetic radiation...but....the FCC and the various regulators say an insignificant amount of it. That is why "bluetooth" is okay for consumer devices. But the declaration that it is safe for consumer use that's different from saying there is no radiation. Same as the microwave in your kitchen also has radiation. And you wifi and your smartphone.

And here you are telling the fella that he is confused, when in fact you are.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Of course it is a source of radiation. It's not a fantasy creation that he's got plugged in his ears - it's a darn radio:

"Bluetooth" is emitting radio waves and electromagnetic radiation...but....the FCC and the various regulators say an insignificant amount of it. That is why "bluetooth" is okay for consumer devices. But the declaration that it is safe for consumer use that's different from saying there is no radiation. Same as the microwave in your kitchen also has radiation. And you wifi and your smartphone.

More often than not it's basically mostly down to ionizing vs. non-ionizing radiation.

And there's also this: https://xkcd.com/radiation/

Last edited:
Reactions: cdcastillo

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

A light bulb emits radiation.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
A light bulb emits radiation.

Sure, but that's a red herring, while this here ("bluetooth") is a radio transmitter/receiver. Like I said above, its only a certain frequency and power, and it is FCC and FDA approved, same as your iphone, which is also a two-way radio at the core of it, but yes there is some amount radiation from any radio transceiver.

The only debate is: is the nature of the radiation and the amount of exposure significant or not? The govt says this amount of radiation is insignificant. Which is why people can sell you this radio to stick into your ears.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sure, but that's a red herring, while this here ("bluetooth") is a radio transmitter/receiver. Like I said above, its only a certain frequency and power, and it is FCC and FDA approved, same as your iphone, which is also a two-way radio at the core of it, but yes there is some amount radiation from any radio transceiver.

The only debate is: is the nature of the radiation and the amount of exposure significant or not? The govt says this amount of radiation is insignificant. Which is why people can sell you this radio to stick into your ears.
Seems like the nature/type of radiation would be of first importance there before the amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.