Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bogdan127

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2017
Romania, Cluj, Cluj-Napoca
Hello,

When pressing the Wireless & Bluetooth icons in control center they just disconnect from current connection not actually turning them off.

This was present in many betas, and i tough it will be fixed at release date.

Should this be considered a feature? And if yes, why?

Thank you,

rootee

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
California
They call it a feature because it’s “intentional”, but if people are reporting it as a bug then I would argue that the implementation is counter intuitive, and confusing. I personally find it uber annoying. It sucks having to get into the Settings app to really turn BT/WiFi off.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
That is a pointless feature. iPhone and iPad, disconnect from WiFi on its own after an x amount of time of inactivity.

So what’s the deal Apple??

rootee

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
California
That is a pointless feature. iPhone and iPad, disconnect from WiFi on its own after an x amount of time of inactivity.

I hear u. I don’t get how this could pass muster during their software design meetings... why not provide a 3D Touch or long-press option for truly disabling the radios, so as to not totally break this function for the gazillion people that are already used to it working that way?

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016

It's not a pointless feature.

I regularly connect to store or restaurant WiFi networks that have no connectivity or are slower than my LTE connection.

Previously I would have to manually shut off WiFi entirely and then try to remember to turn it back on later when I later moved to another location with a different router or returned home.

Toggling the slider is a reasonable alternative and makes it intuitively clear what you are doing, but feel free to file feedback asking for the additional functionality.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
It's not a pointless feature.

I regularly connect to store or restaurant WiFi networks that have no connectivity or are slower than my LTE connection.

Previously I would have to manually shut off WiFi entirely and then try to remember to turn it back on later when I later moved to another location with a different router or returned home.

Toggling the slider is a reasonable alternative and makes it intuitively clear what you are doing, but feel free to file feedback asking for the additional functionality.

That gave me no explanation at all.

Reactions: CreamEggBear

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/20/bluetooth-wifi-not-disabled-ios-11-control-center/

Even when toggled off in Control Center on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 11 and later, a new support document says Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will continue to be available for AirDrop, AirPlay, Apple Pencil, Apple Watch, Location Services, and Continuity features like Handoff and Instant Hotspot.

Toggling off Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in Control Center only disconnects accessories now, rather than disabling connectivity entirely.

kucharsk

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
That gave me no explanation at all.

How much more can I explain it?

Quite often when I walk into a restaurant or store, my phone will auto-join the WiFi network from a previous visit, but if their network is slow or non-functional, I used to have to go in and either click "Forget This Network" or shut off WiFi altogether to be able to use my LTE data.

Now I can just poke the WiFi button in Control Center to dissociate from that network, but since WiFi is still on my phone will still join OTHER networks and it will still work at home, since I didn't have to remember to turn WiFi back on later.

Reactions: strategicthinke

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
How much more can I explain it?

Quite often when I walk into a restaurant or store, my phone will auto-join the WiFi network from a previous visit, but if their network is slow or non-functional, I used to have to go in and either click "Forget This Network" or shut off WiFi altogether to be able to use my LTE data.

Now I can just poke the WiFi button in Control Center to dissociate from that network, but since WiFi is still on my phone will still join OTHER networks and it will still work at home, since I didn't have to remember to turn WiFi back on later.

Now i understand.

Reactions: strategicthinke

kennybroh

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
Now i understand.
The problem is in the process of implementing this, turning off WI-FI in settings doesn’t work either. It keeps turning back on. In other words, I cannot turn WI-FI off completely no matter what I do.

rootee

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2013
California
The problem is in the process of implementing this, turning off WI-FI in settings doesn’t work either. It keeps turning back on. In other words, I cannot turn WI-FI off completely no matter what I do.
Try taking the phone out of airplane mode, then go into Settings and disable WiFi/BT. They should be completely off then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.