Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisdaidai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
So after viewing many questions regarding in-car wireless charging options for Iphone 8/8+X, considering it is such a convenient and safer option to be able to charge wirelessly and mount your phone in the car at the same time, I want to create a thread where people share their experience with the products that have been working with their specific models.

A car vent/dash mount with Qi wireless charging pad built in is like this:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=qi+wireless+car&rh=i:aps,k:qi+wireless+car

They are either magnetic or cradle style, and work on vent, dash, or windshield.

I personally have a 8 Plus so the one I'm looking at is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Fast-Wireles...49&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+charger+car+mount

It is Qi certified, works on vent or dash, adjustable, but also a bit pricey.
Do you have any wireless charger car mount that has been working well (charging while using bluetooth/GPS, stable in driving, etc) for your phone? Please share some opinions! Thanks!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I bought this exact mount, but had to return for another "brand". Notice there are several companies on Amazon that "make" that same charger/mount? They just print a different company name on the face. The first one I got had a bad spring and failed to fully spring open. This replacement I received seems to spring properly so I'm keeping it. But I have to say, I don't like the current available options. Although I'm generally satisfied with this charger, it barely keeps up with usage (slow, just maintains charge) and it's on the janky side. I'm not using the included mounts, just the charging/holder part. I've only had this for a couple of days so I'm still testing. Cost-wise, all wireless car chargers seem to be in the $25-$50 range, but I don't see one that really stands out. I chose this style because of the one handed in and out.

I'm hoping the options get better in the next few months since there's a whole new group of iPhone owners using these now. Statistically iPhone owners tend to spend more on stuff (and better stuff). This might prompt some branded accessory makers to get into this space and not just have these generics. IMHO cars are the best application for wireless charging. Don't really care that much at home/office since I'm only charging once a day usually, but in a car, the battery drains fast due to waze/maps, and I don't always feel like physically plugging in due to relatively short time in the car.

chrisdaidai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
I bought this exact mount, but had to return for another "brand". Notice there are several companies on Amazon that "make" that same charger/mount? They just print a different company name on the face. The first one I got had a bad spring and failed to fully spring open. This replacement I received seems to spring properly so I'm keeping it. But I have to say, I don't like the current available options. Although I'm generally satisfied with this charger, it barely keeps up with usage (slow, just maintains charge) and it's on the janky side. I'm not using the included mounts, just the charging/holder part. I've only had this for a couple of days so I'm still testing. Cost-wise, all wireless car chargers seem to be in the $25-$50 range, but I don't see one that really stands out. I chose this style because of the one handed in and out.

I'm hoping the options get better in the next few months since there's a whole new group of iPhone owners using these now. Statistically iPhone owners tend to spend more on stuff (and better stuff). This might prompt some branded accessory makers to get into this space and not just have these generics. IMHO cars are the best application for wireless charging. Don't really care that much at home/office since I'm only charging once a day usually, but in a car, the battery drains fast due to waze/maps, and I don't always feel like physically plugging in due to relatively short time in the car.
Exactly what I was feeling about the sellers on Amazon... They all sell similar products with similar/same pictures and specs, and they are all overpriced IMO. Some of the "brand" names are really funny as well.

Same here too I'm not buying wireless charging pads for home use unless there's a crazy low price deal. I consume most of my phone's battery in the car and having to plug in the cable every time is a pain. Plus cables tend to break more easily in the car with all the bend and tortures.

I ended up ordering this one for a discounted price of $14:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q6BWS7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It looks nice and since they all look similar as for capability, I'd rather spend less to test one out.

I'll come back when it arrives and I play with it for a while.

chrisdaidai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
The kits these guys sell look pretty awesome:

http://www.brandmotion.com/freedom-...forte-qi-wireless-charging-kit-fdmc-1280.html

But that will be more useful for people that have systems that support wireless CarPlay (that don't need to view their phone's screen while driving).
That kit is awesome but mostly is for specific make and models. It's kinda like the built-in wireless charging dock in some high-end BMWs.
Most people are still using their phones' screens as navigation though. o_O

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Exactly what I was feeling about the sellers on Amazon... They all sell similar products with similar/same pictures and specs, and they are all overpriced IMO. Some of the "brand" names are really funny as well.

Same here too I'm not buying wireless charging pads for home use unless there's a crazy low price deal. I consume most of my phone's battery in the car and having to plug in the cable every time is a pain. Plus cables tend to break more easily in the car with all the bend and tortures.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076Q6BWS7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It looks nice and since they all look similar as for capability, I'd rather spend less to test one out.

I saw those too. I like the fact that it’s usb-c, I dislike the fact that you need to release with 2 buttons. I used have just a drop in mount so the one I got is closest in usability, but I am sacrificing a more solid build and hold. Like I said, none of the options are perfect.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
That kit is awesome but mostly is for specific make and models. It's kinda like the built-in wireless charging dock in some high-end BMWs.

+1. I have gps in my car but still prefer having waze up during any drive longer than 15 minutes. I need the phone to be visible/accessible.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Agreed. A lot of chargers on Amazon are just re-branded items that are made in the same factory. I'm also not too interested in a charging pad for home, since I just charge my watch and phone overnight.

I don't have to look at my iPhone while driving, so I'm trying to find a charger that I can just drop the phone into. There are a couple on Amazon that fit into a cup holder, but they're very badly reviewed. I also found several that hold the phone magnetically, but I'm wary of their ability to hold the phone securely.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have an aftermarket Alpine ILX-107. It started with the higher-end OEM systems in the cars. Give it another year or two, everyone will support wireless CarPlay. (I suspect a lot of in-market decks could support this, provided they have wifi capabilities).

chrisdaidai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Agreed. A lot of chargers on Amazon are just re-branded items that are made in the same factory. I'm also not too interested in a charging pad for home, since I just charge my watch and phone overnight.

I don't have to look at my iPhone while driving, so I'm trying to find a charger that I can just drop the phone into. There are a couple on Amazon that fit into a cup holder, but they're very badly reviewed. I also found several that hold the phone magnetically, but I'm wary of their ability to hold the phone securely.
I’d say avoid magnetic charging docks for now. I’ve looked into many magnetic chargers and some reviews on YouTube in order to actually see how they hold on the road.
None of them is secure enough for any bumpy road - even the expensive branded ones can’t hold an Iphone in a case securely enough.
[doublepost=1511492111][/doublepost]

Take a look you’ll see how poor they perform on the road.

[doublepost=1511492451][/doublepost]
Get the iOttie easy one touch 4. Works great.
That’s a solid piece!

Generally dash/windshield charger mounts are more stable on the road. The only downside for me is when they are placed on the dash or windshield they kind of block my sight in my car.

Nice product though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.