Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Where the hell are they? Has everybody forgotten they got announced last century? (exaggerating for extra drama)

It was announced on September 12, 2017... We're June 12, 2018!

What's going on with all those products getting delayed for so long...

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Probably development issues with getting the AirPower to work. To my knowledge there’s no competing wireless chargers that can separately charge 3 different devices that each require different wattage. As for the AirPods, my guess is that they’ll shelve the wireless charging case and just release a (waterproof?) 2nd generation. My guess is a September release, but that’s just speculation.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I know that Apple said to look for AirPower "next year" (2018), so I just assumed it would come out at any point this year. I was starting to think that they were aiming for later this year, however I never realised until today, but the iPhone 8 unveiling ad actually says that AirPower and a software update is available early 2018. I’m guessing they have had some production or safety issues with it. Hopefully it’s not too far off.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It must be technical problems, but I hate they don't communicate at all for the time being.

They promoted these things last year in september and since then they just keep quiet...

karnsculpture

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2006
London, UK
The time it is taking they are probably thinking that they are better to launch the charging case with AirPods 2, which will mean a higher number of sales as AirPods have been so popular. I wouldn't get the charging case alone but I would get a charging case and a newer version of AirPods.

As for AirPower I feel they have lost sales on that one. Lots of people like me are happy using the alternatives.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
My guess is they’re rethinking the design so that watches don’t need to lie flat.

Because if they don’t then; (1) nightstand mode stops working for everyone and (2) anyone who uses a one piece band (like a link bracelet) is excluded.

It feels like what they showed off last September was an unevolved idea. Nothing more.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
My guess is they’re rethinking the design so that watches don’t need to lie flat.

Because if they don’t then; (1) nightstand mode stops working for everyone and (2) anyone who uses a one piece band (like a link bracelet) is excluded.

I can't think of a design that would allow one piece bands to be charged wirelessly while maintaining the clean aesthetic of a flat mat. I doubt they would redesign the mat to accommodate one piece watch bands.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I can't think of a design that would allow one piece bands to be charged wirelessly while maintaining the clean aesthetic of a flat mat. I doubt they would redesign the mat to accommodate one piece watch bands.

Current Apple solution for charging? One charger to rule them all ;-)

0304c03c75e3f4b3736ebac0a5569580.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.