Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
yesterday my Anker wireless charging pad wouldn’t charge my iPhone 12 pro. I figured it must have died. Then later on I placed my phone on my Apple MagSafe charger and it wouldn’t charge either. A force restart of my phone fixed this and my MagSafe charger then worked. My anker charger works as well

Software issue? Hardware issue? Anyone else have this? I can’t reproduce this in order to submit a bug notice to Apple

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I’ve seen this happen twice with my 11 Pro Max within the last week or so. My 12 Pro Max is on the truck for delivery today, so I didn‘t really worry about it too much. It might be a weird issue with iOS 14.2, I guess.

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

RPB65

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2017
iPhone 12 Pro Max - Apple leather MagSafe case - Belkin Boost up stand from Apple Store -
Won’t charge past 95% and one night 34% and didn’t charge at all. Removing the case and its ok (magnets in case)
Same set up but with a new Pitaka MagEZ case - same issues. The case magnets are enough to stop the Qi charging at 95%, then it pulses the charging on and off every 40 mins for 2 mins charging, then turns off again. (Magnets in the case)
If I place a naked 12 Pro Max on the Qi stand, it charges properly and fine and I wake up with it at 100% without fail.
So this is a MagSafe issue with any case (Apple’s own included) and Qi charging. Ergo this is an Apple fail as far as I’m concerned. There are far too many issues across the world with the 12’s for it to be anything other than a massive oversight on their part. They want us all using MagSafe. Which incidentally heats up the iPhone a lot and will kill the battery life quicker than anything else. Heat is a massive battery health killer. So well done Apple for messing this up.
Now we’ve all got Qi charging issues thanks to you.
And before you say it, I’m not going to keep rebooting my iPhone. I’m going to dig out the Apple stand, a 5W plug and the Lightning cable and charge it that way. Proper Old Skool charging! lol.
ALSO, when fitting the Apple leather case, I no longer get any MagSafe animation at all, EVER. It just does not work. After force restarting and rebooting my iPhone, it still doesn’t work. It is b0rked. I even wasted cash on a MagSafe charger so I could test them all out!! What an idiot I am. It works btw.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Happened to me the other day with my 12 Pro. Wouldn’t charge with my Belkin or my MagSafe. A reboot of the phone fixed the problem.
Apart from that one incident, no issues and that’s using two Apple leather MagSafe cases and one Apple MagSafe silicon case

MorganB

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
I've had this happen maybe 3 or 4 times with my 12pro. Never happened with my 11. Wireless charging just randomly stops working and requires a reboot to reenable.

ahsia

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
I've read a couple articles online about the 12pm having similar issues with 3rd party chargers; it does seem to be software related, and I recall that software fix is otw soon.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Sorry for the bump, but this just happened to me on my 12 Pro Max, on iOS 14.3.

Restart fixed the issue.
Hope it's gonna be resolved in next update?

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
When my Volt needs an oil change (a rare thing) my car won’t let me charge it until the oil life has been reset. So if I don’t want/need the oil change, I just gotta fiddle with the software and I’m back to charging.

Exactly like wireless charging a phone, right? Lol \_(ツ)_/¯ /s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.