Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Might be a better topic for one of the hardware forums, but to me arguably the strangest thing about the current Apple ecosystem is the lack of an AirPort Time Capsule-type wireless backup solution to work with Time Machine, at a time when almost everything else has gone wireless.

Having to connect a $3,000 MBP to an external HD for (local) Time Machine backups seems incredibly archaic and aesthetically non-pleasing. Was Time Capsule simply ahead of its time? Any hope for a similar product to return any time soon (or is there one that I’ve somehow missed)? Thanks.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I doubt it. They've got iCloud storage and will most likely move to a full iCloud backup of the Mac.

If you want Time Machine over the network. Setup a NAS with Time Machine support, use another Mac or make a DIY file server with Time Machine support. Although I'd use cloning software over Time Machine.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I would have thought the Time Machine/iCloud pair would have come before Time Capsule was discontinued. Time Machine seems like it exists for either an iCloud or Time Capsule-type solution, where you set it up and then forget about it.

I only own one Mac, but thanks for the networked backups suggestion.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Am I correct that there’s no Time Capsule-type third-party solution available? Thanks.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
For example, Synology NAS devices work well with Time Machine. (Time Machine, on the other hand, isn't always the most reliable.)

Reactions: jk73

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Might be a better topic for one of the hardware forums, but to me arguably the strangest thing about the current Apple ecosystem is the lack of an AirPort Time Capsule-type wireless backup solution to work with Time Machine, at a time when almost everything else has gone wireless.

Having to connect a $3,000 MBP to an external HD for (local) Time Machine backups seems incredibly archaic and aesthetically non-pleasing. Was Time Capsule simply ahead of its time? Any hope for a similar product to return any time soon (or is there one that I’ve somehow missed)? Thanks.
I am using a Western Digital 3 TB MyCloud wireless NAS drive and it supports Time Machine backups. Works pretty solid. I noticed that the setup worked much better when I configured my Mac to reconnect to my NAS drive when rebooting. It makes it easier for Time Machine to locate the drive and reliably backup on its’ own.

Reactions: gilby101 and jk73

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I'm using my old 2TB AirPort Time Capsule connected via ethernet to my Verizon wireless router for backups. Works flawlessly.

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
I use Synology NAS for Time Machine as well. Works flawlessly without any wired connection.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I think the TimeCapsule was ahead of its time. I still have one from 2010 that I used when I last had a MacBook as my main machine.

I am looking at moving back to a MacBook as my main machine, and I think a Synology NAS will be the best option to replicate the TimeCapsule functionality.

BulldogMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
I too was looking for something like Time Capsule after my backup HD for my iMac reached the end of its life. I'd like to be able to buy a single drive and backup my iMac and my families' MacBooks to it. I've seen references to the the Synology NAS but that seems pretty intimidating and expensive since it doesn't come with the disks. Is the WD My Cloud fairly easy? Are they other simple backup options for multiple Macs? This sounds like what I am trying to do but it has no comments so I'm wondering if it is no longer an option? Backup Multiple Macs

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Get an external HDD for the iMac. Time Machine for the iMac directly to it, and TM from all the MacBooks to a (Time Machine enabled) share on the HDD. How to configure depends on macOS versions.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Get an external HDD for the iMac. Time Machine for the iMac directly to it, and TM from all the MacBooks to a (Time Machine enabled) share on the HDD. How to configure depends on macOS versions.

Simple, but not a “wireless HD backup.”

Hard to believe there’s no Apple solution here, all these years after Time Capsule. I guess Apple is more worried about the photos and music crowd, and figures they’ll be happy with iCloud.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I too was looking for something like Time Capsule after my backup HD for my iMac reached the end of its life. I'd like to be able to buy a single drive and backup my iMac and my families' MacBooks to it. I've seen references to the the Synology NAS but that seems pretty intimidating and expensive since it doesn't come with the disks. Is the WD My Cloud fairly easy? Are they other simple backup options for multiple Macs? This sounds like what I am trying to do but it has no comments so I'm wondering if it is no longer an option? Backup Multiple Macs
I ended up getting a used Synology DS216J, so it is a five-year-old model. It came with 2x3TB drives and didn't gcost much more than 1 of the individual drives would have cost. I originally bought it as a test to see how I would get on with it, but it does the job perfectly and I cannot see what benefits I would get from a newer model.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
not really a solution, but... i backup my 12" macbook over the network to an external drive connected to my imac, with carbon copy cloner. works perfectly.

so, you could buy a second mac, hook up a drive to that, and do this ?

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012

My cable modem router has a USB 3 port that allows me to plug in an external drive and it becomes a NAS drive. Perfect for Time Machine backups.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
My cable modem router has a USB 3 port that allows me to plug in an external drive and it becomes a NAS drive. Perfect for Time Machine backups.

Any security concerns here?

Jemani

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2012
Any security concerns here?
My Modem/router is a popular name brand router that is still supported by the manufacturer. I trust their latest advice for configuration and security with their device. I don’t have it connected to the outside world, just my Intranet around my home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.