Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Hey,
I'm looking for a wireless and portable storage that can function as a Time Capsule stand-in while traveling...
I was wondering... Could you use a portable wireless drive such as the LaCie Fuel or WD My Passport Wireless Pro as a portable NAS? With Time Machine for your Mac?
I'm not sure, Time Machine is always a bit complicated without a direct cable, I have no experience...
But I think it would be awesome when you travel, connecting the WD to your destination's WiFi creating a Time Machine image and having it making backups in the background, connected to a power source.. Like when you visit your parents or girlfriend or someone whose WiFi you trust, having it make Time Machine backups while you work, like a Time Capsule. Anyone had the same thoughts?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think the problem you will run into with this is most hotels have their wifi setup so you cannot access shared devices like this over the network.

I would just buy a 2.5" USB drive and use that with Time Machine when traveling.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I am very disappointed with the WD mypassport wireless.. good idea... under powered.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Buy a 2.5" bus-powered portable drive.
Use that with either TM or a cloning app such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Doing that will serve you MUCH better, particularly in a "moment of need".

mitchell88

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
Spain
Buy a 2.5" bus-powered portable drive.
Use that with either TM or a cloning app such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Doing that will serve you MUCH better, particularly in a "moment of need".

Could you please give some examples?
Thanks
Mitchell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.