Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Anyone got any experience with this?

The 32" of the MC-30 seems pretty limiting, but I was wondering if a 3rd party wireless release is worth $160. BTW the MC-30 around here is $90 :mad:

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Hi, I've no experience with the unit you posted, but I have just got one of these for myself - it has only just been launched in the UK, no idea if they are available elsewhere yet I'm afraid:

http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/seculine3.htm

Very happy with it too. Build quality was a bit suss but a dab of super glue to keep it together properly and all is fine now.

I've not yet had the opportunity to test the full 100m range!

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Pocketwizards do this, although I think it'll cost ~200 for the pair.

Oh I'm quite aware of pocketwizards, but I can't afford that much right now as a student. I'm holding off on those until I get my Alien Bees :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
IR remotes don't always fire reliably, which is why I bought an MC-30 to use with my D700. I understand the desire for more range, though. It was handy, on rare occasions, to be able to fire my D70 from several feet away.

Back when I was shooting film, I had this nifty device called either a "Gopher" or a "Hedgehog". It screwed onto the shutter with the typical needle plunger doo-dad, but also had about 20 feet of thin rubber tubing and a bulb at the other end - you'd squeeze the bulb, and the blast of air through the tubing would drive the plunger. It worked really well, and cost something like 5 or 10 bucks. :D

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
IR remotes don't always fire reliably, which is why I bought an MC-30 to use with my D700. I understand the desire for more range, though. It was handy, on rare occasions, to be able to fire my D70 from several feet away.

Back when I was shooting film, I had this nifty device called either a "Gopher" or a "Hedgehog". It screwed onto the shutter with the typical needle plunger doo-dad, but also had about 20 feet of thin rubber tubing and a bulb at the other end - you'd squeeze the bulb, and the blast of air through the tubing would drive the plunger. It worked really well, and cost something like 5 or 10 bucks. :D

Yeah the remote I had has a built-in cable release as well.
There is an extension cable available for the MC-30 which is 3m for $110 :mad:

And those "Gophers" were fantastic, but they took it off cameras after the D100. Unfortunate? very.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I got one on eBay that works with the infrared on my XSi, and it cost me only 99 cents. Yes, cents...as in under one dollar...and that was the new, buy-it-now price (not an auction for a used item). I thought it would probably be a piece of junk that couldn't possibly work, but for a buck I'd take the chance. Well, the dang thing actually works! What's more, it also works with my husband's Pentax (it has a bunch of buttons on it, and you press the one for the brand of camera you're aiming at).

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2007
I'll just note that the Phottix model mentioned above is RF and therefore doesn't suffer the line of sight or range limitations of IR models.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I'll just note that the Phottix model mentioned above is RF and therefore doesn't suffer the line of sight or range limitations of IR models.

Precisely :]
Thanks again for the link!
IT would have come in handy for the pictures I was taking tonight, but oh well, I made due. Definitely beats paying like $200 for a pocketwizard setup!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Precisely :]
Thanks again for the link!
IT would have come in handy for the pictures I was taking tonight, but oh well, I made due. Definitely beats paying like $200 for a pocketwizard setup!

Actually, I looked it up: PW are $200 each.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.