Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I have been photographing a lot of basketball games and will hopefully be getting permission from my university to mount a camera behind the backboard of one of the goals and I'm trying to figure out what additional equipment I would need to be able to control and trigger a camera that would be mounted behind the goal. I assume something like a pocket wizard transmitter is what I am looking for? I am not sure exactly what I would need or how these systems work. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks!

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Two PocketWizards (one to transmit, one to receive) plus the expensive (~$80?) camera trigger cable are required if you want to use PW's.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Pocket Wizards are for remote flash operation. What you need is a remote trigger for the shutter. IR won't work at that distance and with everything around the camera, but there are radio controlled remote trigger devices.
You didn't mention which camera you have but check out JYC brand of radio triggers. My wife bought one for her cameras and they work great. And they're cheap, you can get them on eBay for example.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Pocket Wizards are for remote flash operation. What you need is a remote trigger for the shutter. IR won't work at that distance and with everything around the camera, but there are radio controlled remote trigger devices.

With the correct cables, pocketwizards can also be used to trigger cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.