Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandylucat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2020
Hello, guys, could you let me know if you need to use an ethernet cable while working in the office with your MBP??
I am trying to buy a USB-C hub and not so sure if I need one with rj45 or not.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hello, guys, could you let me know if you need to use an ethernet cable while working in the office with your MBP??
I am trying to buy a USB-C hub and not so sure if I need one with rj45 or not.
XnMGz7LGBxFlukW212.B7A_b.jpg

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use one on occasion. I backup to a NAS and usually that’s a differential backup (Time Machine) over wifi and that works great. But if I’m redoing an initial backup, or a full restore, I’ll do it over Ethernet. That’s maybe once a year?

For that I have a Gigabit Ethernet to USB3 converter (2015 MBPro, doesn’t have Ethernet either).

Otherwise, no. The wifi is fast.

Reactions: sandylucat

sandylucat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2020
I use one on occasion. I backup to a NAS and usually that’s a differential backup (Time Machine) over wifi and that works great. But if I’m redoing an initial backup, or a full restore, I’ll do it over Ethernet. That’s maybe once a year?

For that I have a Gigabit Ethernet to USB3 converter (2015 MBPro, doesn’t have Ethernet either).

Otherwise, no. The wifi is fast.
THANKS ;)))
[automerge]1590034008[/automerge]
what do you mean?

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
Yup. Use it all the time for network troubleshooting and avoiding the flakiness of WiFi.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
At work, I use one 100% of the time. We have to be hardwired into our company network. There is a wireless network, but it doesn't have access to the same shared drives and security "features" and stuff.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're going to routinely plug into the hub at work, yes, get one with ethernet.

It may offer a faster connection at the office than wireless.
You can configure the network pref pane so that the MBP will select ethernet first, when it's available.
When it's unplugged, it will "default" back to wifi.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use an Ethernet cable in the office and at home with my MacBook Pro. I use a USB-3 converter/dongle in both cases. I can use WiFi as a backup but going wired saves me a login to the WiFi network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.