Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
Hi.

I have a 2012 mac mini and I recently upgraded to High Sierra. Now, Microsoft Word and other 2011 Office applications crash upon application start up. So I went ahead and installed Libre Office, both the latest build and the last stable release, same thing - crash at start up. I figured Pages would surely run - so I downloaded and installed. It also crashes at application start up.

Anybody have any ideas? I have never encountered this.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Does this happen to any other software, or only your office apps? Intuitively I'm thinking it must be something they all rely on being broken, so fonts spring to mind immediately.

A reinstall would probably fix your issues, but if that's not a possible or preferred course of action, you could try and see if you could rebuild caches with a tool like OnyX

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Does this happen to any other software, or only your office apps? Intuitively I'm thinking it must be something they all rely on being broken, so fonts spring to mind immediately.

A reinstall would probably fix your issues, but if that's not a possible or preferred course of action, you could try and see if you could rebuild caches with a tool like OnyX
I agree with this. My 2011 Mac mini runs all three no fuss no muss.

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007

I'll try installing other types of software. If they work, I'll try rebuilding the cache. I'll post the results in a few days when I get back home.

Thank you!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
Does your Mini have an SSD in it?
If so, did the SSD get converted to APFS when you did the install?

I have heard that MS Office 2011 doesn't play well with APFS.

If it was me, I'd either:
- Reinstall High Sierra, but force an HFS+ install (instead of APFS)
or...
- Go back to Sierra and be happy there for now.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
OP:
Does your Mini have an SSD in it?
If so, did the SSD get converted to APFS when you did the install?

I have heard that MS Office 2011 doesn't play well with APFS.
You heard wrong. My mid 2011 mini has an SSD, currently running Office 2011, APFS, and no problem with Office 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.