Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I have been on the phone with Microsoft then Apple then Microsoft again for the past 2 hours. This resulted in no answers to my question at all. Microsoft says it is an Apple problem and Apple says it is a Microsoft problem.

If anyone can help, you guys can. Here is my question.

1. I have Microsoft Office 2016 installed on my MacBook Pro 2015 running Sierra 10.12.4 (not 365 but an installation)

2. I have fonts that are in Word and other Microsoft Office programs but that are not in Font Book and therefore not showing up in Photoshop.

3. My question is .. .should all fonts that are in Word also be in Font Book?

4. If they are not supposed to be there, is there a way to get them in to Font Book?

5. If they should be there, how I do I find them and get them in Font Book?

Thank you!!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Microsoft used to install fonts alongside Office years ago, but they stopped doing that when they switched to app bundles. You can only use the fonts within Office now. You can try to look for the font files in the app bundle (right-click, ‘Show Package Contents’) and then open them with Font Book to import them.

Be aware that doing so may be against Microsoft licensing terms, particularly if you are distributing files that use them (e.g. in a picture).

Reactions: LD Curb

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
USA
Microsoft used to install fonts alongside Office years ago, but they stopped doing that when they switched to app bundles. You can only use the fonts within Office now. You can try to look for the font files in the app bundle (right-click, ‘Show Package Contents’) and then open them with Font Book to import them.

Be aware that doing so may be against Microsoft licensing terms, particularly if you are distributing files that use them (e.g. in a picture).
Thank you so much! You know waaaay more than the Apple and MS reps I talked to. Bravo, Kallt!! Much appreciated!!!!

Once I open the "package contents" file, could you possibly let me know where I go from there? I really would like to have a couple of the fonts if possible. I have been using a Mac for not quite 2 years and am still not up on how a lot of things work ... even after several Apple workshops....

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Usually in Contents → Resources. Sometimes you may be able to search for fonts using the search bar once you are inside of the Contents directory in the app bundle (typing ‘font’ will give you filters).

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
IMHO don't associate the change in font use to MS, most of the fonts used by the Office suites are owned/licensed by Monotype Imaging, which has been cracking down lately on licensing. I license some fonts from Monotype, and they've pestered me to make sure I pay the fees for what I use, far more often than when I started using their property back in the mid-90s.

https://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq11.htm contains some of MS's rules/rights with links to other resources. Monotype has been more of a PITA recently, so much that I've moved some of my company's work to use Adobe's fonts (which are included, to a degree, with their Creative Cloud subscription) - my Monotype fees were costing me more than CC costs, and Adobe "throws" in Photoshop, Illy, Lightroom, Audition, etc., etc., etc.

BTW, MS's fonts are in the "DFonts" sub-folder. The Finder's "Get Info" or "Inspector" shows the font owner, FYI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.