Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmth99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
Just downloaded new 2016 Office and when open Word docs, the window opens too small. I don't want to hit the green button to maximize and fill whole screen because then you can't stack multiple windows. Is there a way to set default to open bigger like before? I'm on Macbook El Capitan 10.11, thanks.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Just downloaded new 2016 Office and when open Word docs, the window opens too small. I don't want to hit the green button to maximize and fill whole screen because then you can't stack multiple windows. Is there a way to set default to open bigger like before? I'm on Macbook El Capitan 10.11, thanks.

Did you try dragging and expanding the window? I don't know if that will reset the normal.dotm file or not but give it a try and see if it will change the default. I don't have a problem with it since it displayed OK (same as Word 2011) on my 27" iMac.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
One, Word generally recalls the previous Window configuration - create a new Blank Document, configure it the way and in the location you prefer, then Close the Window - your next Blank Document *should* resemble the previous document.

Two. Option-Click on the Green Button; "Click" generally leads to a Full Screen Window, and Option-Click executes the Window>Zoom Command. Three, execute the Window>Zoom Command from your Mac's Menu Bar. In either of these two instances, I recommend closing that new Blank Document, with the same rationale - Word should recall the last Window configuration of the New Blank Document you created and closed.

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Word (v.16.25) is driving me crazy with this issue – every new window is 1/4 of the screen size, no matter what I do.

Opening a new document, resizing it, saving it, then opening a new document doesn't help – the new document is still 1/4 of the screen size. Even saving over the template with a new template with the desired window size doesn't change anything.

Removing all templates and restarting Word doesn't change anything.

Any other ideas?

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It's a bug. Microsoft has already admitted to it and will fix it in the next update which should be forthcoming soon. By the way, the bug only affects *.docx documents. It does not affect older *.doc documents.

Reactions: imom

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
I get the Office Fast Insider builds and Microsoft has already started addressing the issue, although it is not yet perfect. With build 16.26 (19052000) the startup window is now much larger than a few days ago, at least for me, but still does not fill the screen, even if you drag it to fill the available space, quit and then restart. On my MacBook Pro it now fills about 95% of the screen and on the iMac about 30%.

I just downloaded build 19052200 but there is no further improvement. Of course, I fail to understand how something that worked before would be broken in an update.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I just downloaded build 19052200 but there is no further improvement. Of course, I fail to understand how something that worked before would be broken in an update.

Apparently, you're not familiar with Microsoft. How many times in Windows have we seen an update that totally breaks everything? :mad:

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Apparently, you're not familiar with Microsoft. How many times in Windows have we seen an update that totally breaks everything? :mad:
I am very much familiar with Microsoft - the remark I made is supposed to be tongue in cheek. ;)

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
It's a bug. Microsoft has already admitted to it and will fix it in the next update which should be forthcoming soon. By the way, the bug only affects *.docx documents. It does not affect older *.doc documents.

Great news, thanks

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Wow, this issue has been driving me crazy for the last hour, trying to fix this issue for my parents' 27" iMac. Glad I found this, so I can quit trying to fix it. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.