Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibisbill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2016
MacRumors doesn't seem to have a Word for Mac section so posting my query here. I have Word for Mac 2011. Something extremely annoying has happened and I have an urgent deadline so need to fix it asap. The article I commented on had been commented on by a previous editor, his and my comments were in different colours so clearly distinguishable. But now they are all the same colour and the author is simply Author in both cases so it's impossible to tell whose comments are whose. How can I make them different colours or at least have different names? As mentioned I need an answer to this in the next hour or so...

Many thanks in advance,

Michael, London UK

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Check your app's user preferences. First, make sure you have some identifying data in "User Information", like your name - if those fields are empty, Word can't identify you relative to anyone else; Word keeps this information embedded in an XML file, and it's pretty much the same means across versions and platforms.

Second, look at the "Track Changes" Preference - make sure the "By Author" option is selected for the type of markup you want segregated.

Third, consider if there have been several other users of the document - Word reuses colors after eight authors, and there's no workaround for this.

This thread should appear IMHO in the "Mac Apps" forum FYI, and I'll PM a mod to move it. You may get a lot more help in that forum. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.