Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Did some reading....bought at BestBuy the Apple Gigabit Ethernet Adapter....ran an ethernet cable to the adapter on the mini then plugged in adapter to ethernet cable....so far it works fine....no more mac mini searching for wifi network each time.....You would think Apple would let people know.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
To be fair, itsOver9000 has a point. It's nice that you found a solution to your problem, but your thread title is misleading. I came in here expecting to see how you revived your dead port.

How did it break by the way? Lightning strike/surge, or it just quit?

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Before you posted...it would have been good for you to Google..."ethernet port on mac mini after update of OS now dead" you would learn that one of the many, many updates...by Apple...disabled the ethernet port. This solution was for those users affected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
There are also USB 3.0 ethernet adapters, some of them even include a USB hub. I got one for my MacBook Air because I needed the Thunderbolt port for an external monitor, it was also cheaper than Apple's Thunderbolt adapter. One possible downside is that it requires a special driver though.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Guessing that Unitek USB 2.0 adapter will not really deliver gigabit speeds, my USB 2.0 disk drives all top out around 30MB/sec. (240 mbit). Apple makes (or made?) their own USB 2.0 ethernet adapter but it did not deliver anywhere near gigabit speed. I think you need USB 3.0 for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.