Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damlandberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Copenhagen
Hello,

I just got my first Mac yesterday, and being a complete novice, I was wondering if it is possible in any way to work with Canon CR2 files (EOS 50D) in iPhoto? Or perhaps at least get the thumbnails to display in the Finder (is that was it is called?).

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!

Soren

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
So long as OS X supports the format you should be able to import it into iPhoto (just tested it with a 1D MkIII file). I think OS X should support the 50D by now.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hello,

I just got my first Mac yesterday, and being a complete novice, I was wondering if it is possible in any way to work with Canon CR2 files (EOS 50D) in iPhoto? Or perhaps at least get the thumbnails to display in the Finder (is that was it is called?).

Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!

Soren

Very easy to download and process CR2 photos with PSE6, or Graphic Converter. Both applications will download the RAW images from the camera to your computer, too. I have both application, and use them to do different things, except that for editing I use PSE. Once I have edited the photos, I import the ones I want into iPhoto.

You can e-mail the photos to friends and family right from iPhoto. I process the RAW images, and save them to TIFF format. This action leaves the original RAW intact. I save this original RAW to an external hard drive, or to a DVD, and use the original TIFF image for e-mailing, etc. Also, I always leave this original TIFF image intact by not saving it over itself when I alter it. I choose Save As, change the name slightly, and save the image. This new image is a copy of the original TIFF. I can also save this original TIFF image to JPEG format, which leaves the image intact.

However, I only save to JPEG format to e-mail or post on the Internet, since JPEG deteriorates IQ every time one alters the photo and then saves it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I like Raw Photo Processor for working with raw files, RPP just needs to be set to film gamma, AHDMF (Half won't save full-sized files) and not to blur chroma and then whatever saturation/exposure/contrast/local contrast tweaks you want.

Best free raw converter ever IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.