Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I'm looking to upgrade to a dSLR, and I was wondering whether it would be worth buying a D50 now, especially with the D70s and D80 out.
Thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
epicwelshman said:
I'm looking to upgrade to a dSLR, and I was wondering whether it would be worth buying a D50 now, especially with the D70s and D80 out.
Thanks.

A lot of people think the D50 is about to be updated. One roumer is that a new D60 will be out in November another is that they wil make a small mod to the D50 and call it maybe a "D50s". Both could be true. My guess is that within a year Nikon will have cameras with price points on both sides of the current D50 and both the D50 and D70s will be gone replaced with a D60 and D50s or D40. Nikon is like Apple. They do not talk about future products so we are left to speculate

On the other hand if you need a camera now you need to buy what is available now. I have a D50 and it works fine for my needs. I don't see any reason to buy a D70s. The D50 seem a better value and equal or beter image quality. The D80 is a good value.
As a general rule the best value is the camera with the latest relese date.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
epicwelshman said:
Thanks.

If its specs and price suit you, then, yes. The camera is the same "age" as the D70s. Essentially a slightly more compact, more consumer-oriented dSLR than the D70s. If you can afford it, the D80 looks like it is a superb upgrade from the D70 series. But it costs and weighs more. There is a possibility that an updated D60 or D55 will materialise (like what the D80 is to the D70).

However, unlike computers which can become obsolete by the demands of new software, DSLRs in no way become obsolete just because a newer model is released. In fact in ten years time I expect my D70 to take better pictures than it does now, because my technique will have improved with experience.

When choosing a body, try them in a shop, see which one handles the best in YOUR hand. And see which one you can afford.

Be sure to leave room for some lens purchases. Lenses can impact the quality of your pictures more than the body at this level. And good technique impacts picture quality even more than good lenses, but cannot be bought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.