Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
So in November, I bought a D40x as a complete camera newbie. Now I've really got into it, I want to upgrade. I have a couple of lenses that are non AF-S and therefore have to be manually focussed.

I also want the commander mode for flash work and the bracketing feature.

Should I get the D80 even though I intend to keep the D40x? Or is it a waste?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So in November, I bought a D40x as a complete camera newbie. Now I've really got into it, I want to upgrade. I have a couple of lenses that are non AF-S and therefore have to be manually focussed.

You might as well just spend a few hundred dollars more, bypasing the D80 completely, and get a D200, new or used. You get a whole lot more camera that way, and still get to keep your lightweight D40X. Used, a D200 in EX+ condition is not much more than a new D80.

A new D300 is even better, but not by much, than the D200; and it's several hundred dollars more than the D200.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Depending on the lenses, you might get more bang by getting new lenses and one of the commander-capable flashes or controllers. How far out of your price range is the D300? The AF system and stop and a half or so of ISO makes it preferable to the D200 to me- but that depends a lot on what you shoot.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Sounds like you'd do just fine with a used D70s. You could get one for your D40 plus pocket change. Of course the D80 would be nicer.

Do you really need that auto-flash stuff? I've never found a use for it. I think most people figure that if they have the time to set up flashes on stands they have time to spend the extra second to use manual mode. Now with digital camera it's even easier because you can take a test shot.

Don't over-spend on flash equipment. Light is light. The Nikon SB800 has about the same light output as the old Vivitar 285 but the Vivitar sells for about $50

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.