Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Well, I'll try to make this quick for you all.. :D . I am currently shooting with a D80 and have been debating for the past month or so about upgrading to the D200. Main reasons I wish to do this is the dedicated buttons... I'm sick of having to hit the "Play" button to turn off the LCD before I can hit the ISO, White balance, etc. buttons without locking the pic on the LCD kinda thing. Sometimes I need to switch quickly to get what I need. Hope some of you know what I mean. I do forsee perhaps needing the 5 frames per second shooting for doing sports and action photography, being that summer is coming up :D , but at this exact moment, its not a total neccessity. Worth it? Or are my reasons too superficial? :p .

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I love to shoot in continue mode.
Instead of 1 or a couple of portraits of my kids I have a bunch and I can choose the best shot. The downsize of this : a lot more work at home to select pics.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I love to shoot in continue mode.
Instead of 1 or a couple of portraits of my kids I have a bunch and I can choose the best shot. The downsize of this : a lot more work at home to select pics.

Yes... that answers it. :rolleyes:

Well, I'll try to make this quick for you all.. :D . I am currently shooting with a D80 and have been debating for the past month or so about upgrading to the D200. Main reasons I wish to do this is the dedicated buttons... I'm sick of having to hit the "Play" button to turn off the LCD before I can hit the ISO, White balance, etc. buttons without locking the pic on the LCD kinda thing. Sometimes I need to switch quickly to get what I need. Hope some of you know what I mean. I do forsee perhaps needing the 5 frames per second shooting for doing sports and action photography, being that summer is coming up :D , but at this exact moment, its not a total neccessity. Worth it? Or are my reasons too superficial? :p .

Well it's a matter of what is valuable. Do you have that extra $1200? Or are you going to be borrowing money for rent this summer? Yes- the D200 is a better camera to handle. Less menu plays, and more like a "real" SLR (as in film). Moreover, the faster continuous shooting is there, and if that is important to you, then you need it. One other thing that you will get from the D200 over the D80 is the weather sealing. I know that maybe you don't think of it as being that big of a deal, but if anything, it's peace of mind.

One thing to know is that all in all there won't be that much of a difference in the image quality from the 80 to the 200. They both have the same size Sony sensor (the 80 having the newer model). If you're thinking about image quality as a factor- don't.

So there- if you have the money, and are into photography enough to know why you need the D200 (and you seem to have compeling reasons), then go for it.

....Although I still like the Canons better :p
Sorry- I had to.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
haha, its ok if you still like Canon, we all have our flaws :p . I forgot actually to mention the weather sealing as well in my original post. I do have the cash, but actually probably would end up selling my D80. I know at least a few are going to say to keep it for back up, but I don't feel I need a back up really. I do fine with just having one camera, most of the time ;) .

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Sorry- I had to.

You had to indeed ...

I own Nikon for 20 years or so and never thought to look at Canon when I switched to digital last year. The problem with nikon digital is that you can't use the jpg's right from the camera, it seems that I have to make corrections to every single file before they ar usable. I hear from canon users that this is less a problem with their files.

Also, when you buy a new camera, you want a couple of new lenses and you need a new flash. I never use any of my old lenses anymore.

cnybud

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
Chittenango, NY
Also, when you buy a new camera, you want a couple of new lenses and you need a new flash. I never use any of my old lenses anymore.
The lenses he has with the D80 should work just fine with the D200.

I am getting ready to upgrade from my D50 to the D40X but if that D80 becomes available . . . ;)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the D200. It is an excellent camera and has many of the same features (not all!) as the D2X(s). One nice feature, especially if you want to buy some gently used older AI-S lenses: it has a function in the menu for inputting information about the non-CPU lens so that then you will have metering capability.

All of Nikon's lenses will mount on the D200 and it also is able to control Nikon's excellent Creative Lighting System), which is a plus if you want more flexibility in your lighting setup. It will use the older flash units (but not as part of CLS) and also the SB400, SB600 and SB800, and/or can use the SU800 as the "commander" to control the system. It also accepts the R1C1 macro lighting setup.

Since you've already been using a D80 you will be used to the larger file sizes that come with 10MP and presumably your computer setup can handle that. Word: think external hard drives!!

An aside to cnybud: going from the D50 to the D40x is NOT going to be a significant upgrade. Might better save a few more dollars and wait a little longer so that you can go to the D80. Primary reason? The D40 and D40x both autofocus only with AF-S lenses, and while any Nikon lens can be mounted and used on them, you'd have to manually focus. Some people don't find that a problem while others definitely balk at it. Another issue is the number of focus points in the D50 and D80 as opposed to the D40/D40x. Do not be fooled into moving to the D40x simply because it has 10 MP. The good news is that rumor has it that Nikon will soon be bringing out more AF-S lenses, which will then somewhat ameliorate the lens issue on the D40/D40x.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Personally, I'd say it's not worth it, but that depends on what you have for lenses. For instance, if you don't have the 70-200VR, that'd be a much better use of the capital.

every single file before they ar usable. I hear from canon users that this is less a problem with their files.

The best out-of-camera JPEG engine I've seen comes from the Fuji line, N vs C depends a lot on what you shoot and how it's set- I don't think there's a clear winner there at all.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
I have the D200 and like it very much, I looked at the D80, but the body just felt much better to me.

However, the D200 has been out for a year and a half and rumors are the D300 will be out in the fall.

If you can put up with the D80 for the summer, it might be worth it to spend some of your money on nice glass instead of the D200, then look to the successor later in the year.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
haha, its ok if you still like Canon, we all have our flaws :p . I forgot actually to mention the weather sealing as well in my original post. I do have the cash, but actually probably would end up selling my D80. I know at least a few are going to say to keep it for back up, but I don't feel I need a back up really. I do fine with just having one camera, most of the time ;) .

Yeah... okay... until it needs to go to the shop... always have a second body don't trust your own judgement when you haven't been through the many things that can happen in the world of photography and in life. I don't know everything but I said the samething... then my D200 got stuck on the front of a 300 f2.8 and had to be sent to Melville for a month for a new mount. Then my D2hs got sent out for a battery door replacement and intense sensor cleaning.

I got stuck with my girlfriends D80 for a week. I have to say that after shooting with the D2hs and the D200 I love the D80... the 5fps isn't that much of a benefit once you shoot at 8fps. The size is amazing for its speed and accuracy. The view finder and screen are the same as the D200 so it was exactly like using a D200 but much lighter. Have you thought about getting some great Nikon or Tamron/Sigma glass, more flashes, a D40x as backup? Also, remember that the cards are different so you will have to invest in more flash cards, adaptors are okay but that is just one more piece that you could loose or have malfunction on you. You can always buy more flash cards with the money you have. There are plenty of other option out there instead of buying a new flashy camera. Heck... you can buy a D2h with the cash and get a real upgrade. :D

I have the D200 and like it very much, I looked at the D80, but the body just felt much better to me.

However, the D200 has been out for a year and a half and rumors are the D300 will be out in the fall.

If you can put up with the D80 for the summer, it might be worth it to spend some of your money on nice glass instead of the D200, then look to the successor later in the year.

There is no D300 coming out in the fall... Nikon's roadmap is 3 years or so from original camera introduction.

Personally, I'd say it's not worth it, but that depends on what you have for lenses. For instance, if you don't have the 70-200VR, that'd be a much better use of the capital.

I have it and that thing is crazy heavy... you are right about needing the focal length though... Sigma makes a 50-150 2.8IS (IS=VR) that is about $400 cheaper... I hear that Sigma's are a hate them/love them relationship though so try it before you buy it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Sorry- I had to.

Way off... I like Canon's Pro stuff but every camera under the 5D is crap... and made of plastic. The IQ is good but I need a camera not a computer chip in a toy camera housing. They got it right with the 30D after 5 revisions of the body... Nikon only needed two, and they always redesign their bodies for every new revision. Besides... if you invest in real Canon glass (the high end stuff) the focal length changes from body to body. The Rebel and 30D has that crap 1.6x sensor, the 5D and 1D (which is almost 4 years old) are full frame and have the best IQ in the lineup (and you will need a second mortgage to afford one) and the 1Ds has a 1.3x I am not too good with calculating stuff in my head so I will stick with the Nikon same sized sensor in every single body from ultra low end D40 to amazingly adaptable D2xs format. It just made sense to me.

And after plopping down $3000 for the 5D the only worthy upgrade I have is the 1D MkII for $7000 :confused: :eek:

WOW!... I can get two D200 with comparable IQ for the $3000 and then a D2xs and a Fuji S5 for the $7000, have four bodies all with the same sensor size and one of them with better IQ and dynamic range than the Canon's... and much of the same award winning design and functionality. I will take my chances with the backwards and out of date but still holding their own Nikon's..

To each his own.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The problem with nikon digital is that you can't use the jpg's right from the camera, it seems that I have to make corrections to every single file before they ar usable. I hear from canon users that this is less a problem with their files.

Well, personally I prefer to shoot RAW, but... you do realize that, if you don't like the default way your camera pre-processes JPEGs, you can adjust this? And frankly, when I first got my D70 I shot a lot of JPEGs at the default setting - they were great straight out of the camera.

I think a lot of times disinformation like this comes from point-and-shoot people that've upgraded to an SLR but haven't really learned to do anything with it other than, well, point-and-shoot.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
My D70 has been the most frustrating camera I've ever used.

Mind you, I came to digital (aside from P&S) from shooting Tri-X and color neg in 120 and 4x5, so there was going to be some adjustment (as if I suddenly threw out everything and bought Kodachrome in bulk), but I'd shot enough chromes to have a feel for the narrower spectrum.

I have to make major changes to every single RAW or JPG (depending on what I'm shooting) - underexposure by one or two EV, white balance is never correct, flash is basically a crapshoot (SB600 bounced, for the most part). Nikon's prime lens line (dollar for dollar in terms of aperture and focus speed, they're plenty sharp enough) pales in comparison to what I can get from Canon (and what I used prior to the D70).

If and when the successor to the 5D comes out, I'm running back to Canon and my 50/1.4 as fast as my credit card can take me.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007

To respond to you and what another have said about lenses, after I purchased the D80 I focused on buying some nice glass... now have the 12-24mm f/4, 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Just am now thinking of upgrading my body.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have to make major changes to every single RAW or JPG (depending on what I'm shooting) - underexposure by one or two EV, white balance is never correct, flash is basically a crapshoot (SB600 bounced, for the most part).

That sounds like you have a broken camera. Have you run into this with more than one D70 body (cuz I know if it'd been me, I'd have taken it back)?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Mind you, I came to digital (aside from P&S) from shooting Tri-X and color neg in 120 and 4x5, so there was going to be some adjustment (as if I suddenly threw out everything and bought Kodachrome in bulk), but I'd shot enough chromes to have a feel for the narrower spectrum.

I have to make major changes to every single RAW or JPG (depending on what I'm shooting) - underexposure by one or two EV, white balance is never correct, flash is basically a crapshoot (SB600 bounced, for the most part). Nikon's prime lens line (dollar for dollar in terms of aperture and focus speed, they're plenty sharp enough) pales in comparison to what I can get from Canon (and what I used prior to the D70).

If and when the successor to the 5D comes out, I'm running back to Canon and my 50/1.4 as fast as my credit card can take me.

I mean nothing by this when I say it, but were you using the camera correctly. It amazes me when shooters get such a horrible experience from a proven camera that pros use to make outstanding images. When you have such an outrageously terrible experience with any camera on the market it is usually the user of the camera that is making mistakes. Especially given the imformation stated, it doesn't seem to be the hardware at all. I know a highschool freshman with a D50 and SB-600 that makes the most amazing images I have seen from someone his age and he is using the kit lens. Maybe you are just too used to film and medium format cameras?

To respond to you and what another have said about lenses, after I purchased the D80 I focused on buying some nice glass... now have the 12-24mm f/4, 17-55mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Just am now thinking of upgrading my body.

In that case.. keep the D80 and get the D200 if you want a faster more capable body. Trust me... keep the D80 as backup. If you don't us more than one body at a time then the flash memory incompatibilities may not bother you as much.

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
I personally have a D70 and upgraded to a D200 3 months ago, and am really happy with both. Every camera has its flaws, but you can overcome them. If you have the need to be able to shoot quick or change ISO or other settings quickly just set the LCD to not do an image review after each shot that way you can view a shot when you want and can change settings when needed. Also you will save battery life if the LCD doesn't come on all the time.

I love my D200 and feel it was the right choice for me to upgrade, since i was shooting up to 7500 images a week, and the vertical grip helped a lot since i was mostly shooting vertical. Also if you are going to go the D200 route remember you need to get all new memory since the D80 is SD and the D200 is CF. Another thing is you never know when and if your camera will crap out so it is always a good thing to hold on to or get a different camera as a backup, such as the D70 or D70s which run CF cards.

Since you already have the nice glass it is totally up to you whether or not you should spend the money on a new cam. All in all the way I see it is if it is there to make you money pick it up if its just for fun/play, keep what you got it is plenty capable especially with all the glass you have.

And always have fun when your shooting otherwise its not worth it. I love my job and wouldn't give it up for the world.

cnybud

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
Chittenango, NY
An aside to cnybud: going from the D50 to the D40x is NOT going to be a significant upgrade. Might better save a few more dollars and wait a little longer so that you can go to the D80. Primary reason? The D40 and D40x both autofocus only with AF-S lenses, and while any Nikon lens can be mounted and used on them, you'd have to manually focus. Some people don't find that a problem while others definitely balk at it. Another issue is the number of focus points in the D50 and D80 as opposed to the D40/D40x. Do not be fooled into moving to the D40x simply because it has 10 MP. The good news is that rumor has it that Nikon will soon be bringing out more AF-S lenses, which will then somewhat ameliorate the lens issue on the D40/D40x.
Thank you very much for this advice I will in fact take more time before I by the D40x now and will probably go to a camera store to try it out. I however prefer to manually focus most of the time anyway but I was not aware of the problem with auto-focus issues that is a bummer. But I only have two lenses, one of which is an AF-s and the other .... I guess trying to justify the extra two hundred for the 80 over the ninty is going to be tough for me no matter what, but like i said thanks again for the food for thought.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Most of my 120, 4x5 and 5x7 color work was with positives, so my transition wasn't nearly as painful, but I'd like to address a few of your points...

I have to make major changes to every single RAW or JPG (depending on what I'm shooting) - underexposure by one or two EV, white balance is never

If you're underexposing, switching brands isn't going to take care of that, like shooting positives, digital needs you to be as far right as possible, fortunately we get histograms for checking exposure. You should learn to evaluate your histograms as you start to shoot, or in pre-shoot mode with some test shots (like shooting 'roids on a 4x5 back.) You may also want to Google for the white towel exposure PDF someone has up, as it'll help you in nailing your exposure, or test (like you would a new batch of film) the sensor against the light meter you used for 4x5 and get dialed in.

Underexposing by 2 EV on a Canon won't make you happier.

correct, flash is basically a crapshoot (SB600 bounced, for the most part).

If you're having issues with flash, again switching brands won't help, Canon doesn't come close to Nikon in flash, after a couple of shots to dial in compensation, I've yet to have significant problems with my SB800, and I tend to WB later, as I shoot raw, but I don't shoot with a D70 all that often, and I don't use flash on that body. I've had the 800 on my D2x and a D200 I used to own, and WB was darned good, even in mixed lighting, but for strange mixes or criticality, use a card and get it in post as a batch adjustment.

Nikon's prime lens line (dollar for dollar in terms of aperture and focus speed, they're plenty sharp enough) pales in comparison to what I can get from Canon (and what I used prior to the D70).

I wouldn't say focus speed "pales," but price-wise Canon wins hands-down in the long glass. I've shot Canons in the same category from the same time period as the D70, and they're pretty equivalent. Newer bodies from both manufacturers are better in AF accuracy. Speed-wise I'm not sure that there's much difference in the second generation digital bodies- I don't notice a significant speed difference in focusing from my old S2 to my D2x, even though the D2x is way better powered (with AF-S lenses, with screwdriver focus lenses, there's a difference in speed.) I do notice an accuracy difference though.

Why wait? You're obviously unhappy- and you're missing pictures now. Personally, I don't think you'll be all that much happier switching brands until you get your exposure issues resolved. You'll get pictures off a depreciating body, and recoup some investment by reselling it. You're already two generations behind, and waiting isn't going to help you in the interim. If you're that unhappy with the D70 and Nikon, switch now- you're missing shots with a body you'll be happier with. Plus the resale value of the D70 at that point will be near zero.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Then if you're happy with your tripod, head and lighting, and you don't want a new printer, go for it. It's not likely to materially affect your photographic results though- as long as you're happy with that, then get the new toy. Lens-wise you seem pretty set outside of long glass. You may want to try out a D2x first though, if you're going to upgrade bodies, there's a difference between that and the D200- though prices are expected to drop after September if the D3 finally comes out.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
Can you please provide the actual link you are referring to?

Thanks,

You may also want to Google for the white towel exposure PDF someone has up, as it'll help you in nailing your exposure, or test (like you would a new batch of film) the sensor against the light meter you used for 4x5 and get dialed in.

Underexposing by 2 EV on a Canon won't make you happier.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Then if you're happy with your tripod, head and lighting, and you don't want a new printer, go for it. It's not likely to materially affect your photographic results though- as long as you're happy with that, then get the new toy. Lens-wise you seem pretty set outside of long glass. You may want to try out a D2x first though, if you're going to upgrade bodies, there's a difference between that and the D200- though prices are expected to drop after September if the D3 finally comes out.

I dream to be able to buy a D2Xs, but its horribly expensive. $4,500 is a lot when I don't really use my photography to make money... just a passion as is for many of us here :D . Even if did come down in price, I don't see it dropping below $2,500 anyway, which is still a little too much.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Rather than post a new thread, I'll kinda steer this one a little, if thats ok :p . The vertical grip for the D200, is it very responsive? How much more lag is there compared the the shutton button on the camera itself? Is it a snug fit?
Also, just was looking at D200 prices on Adorama and Amazon. I noticed that on Amazon the camera is offered through another vendor, other than Amazon.. some "17th street photography" or whatever. Anyone have any experience buying through Amazon from another retailer? Thanks for any help/advice :)

(Edit: Another through Amazon is called "J&R Music and Computer world")

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.