Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Hey guys!

My brother and I wanted to buy my mom a new iPhone for her birthday which is next week. But we want to give it to her today, on Mothers Day.

She has Verizon, however it seems that the Verizon SE 16GB in Space Black is out of stock.

Would another carrier's phone (T-Mobile/AT&T) work on Verizon's network?

I looked it up, and it seems that Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T all have the same model number phone, while Sprint and Canada have another model.

Is it going to work, or no?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Yes. The Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and SIM-free iPhone SE are all the same. I bought an AT&T iPhone SE and it works fine on Verizon, but I actually use it on Sprint.

The only thing you need to know is that you probably need to activate the phone with a SIM card from the network of the model you bought, so if you bought an AT&T iPhone SE and don't know anyone with AT&T, just don't throw the SIM card that comes with it away. I took the SIM card out and tried activating it on Verizon, but it didn't work. I had to put the AT&T SIM card back in to activate it, then put the Verizon SIM back in.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes. The Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and SIM-free iPhone SE are all the same. I bought an AT&T iPhone SE and it works fine on Verizon, but I actually use it on Sprint.

The only thing you need to know is that you probably need to activate the phone with a SIM card from the network of the model you bought, so if you bought an AT&T iPhone SE and don't know anyone with AT&T, just don't throw the SIM card that comes with it away. I took the SIM card out and tried activating it on Verizon, but it didn't work. I had to put the AT&T SIM card back in to activate it, then put the Verizon SIM back in.
That's strange. The SE I bought for my son was a Verizon device that a friend had purchased via their bogo deal. I got a discount, he made some cash, win win. Anyway, the phone had never been opened, I popped the seal, threw the T-Mobile SIM card in (had Verizon pre installed), booted it for the first time, and all was golden.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
That's strange. The SE I bought for my son was a Verizon device that a friend had purchased via their bogo deal. I got a discount, he made some cash, win win. Anyway, the phone had never been opened, I popped the seal, threw the T-Mobile SIM card in (had Verizon pre installed), booted it for the first time, and all was golden.
Maybe that has something to do with all Verizon phones being unlocked, whereas AT&T locks phones that aren't paid off. It might be locked by default until it checks with AT&T. But IDK. Maybe it was just a glitch on mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.