Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy a MacPro 2013 for 999$?

• Yes

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

fjsalcedosotoca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
Hi.

After the intro of the new iMac Pro, the "promise" of a new modular high end Mac Pro for 2018, and the disregard for the mac mini, I was wondering: would you buy the base configuration of the 2013 MP for, say, 999-1299 and the top configuration for 1299-1499 now (as they are offered, without maxing them out)? I have in mind the "standard" lone app programmer, DB developer-admin, math and science student-teacher-developer, 3D (basic) developer, etc., with some work in photos or video (again basic for 2017 standards).

If so, why, and if not, also why? Is it, as I've read elsewhere, that the 2013 MP could be the "new" mac mini?

Best regards for you all!

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
For $1000? I'd buy two at that price! No matter how much we bitch about it, it's still a pretty powerful machine, far more powerful than most users would need. It would make a great home machine for the vast majority of users and what you seem to have in mind. Sadly I doubt Apple would ever price it that low.

IIcx

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2017
Sure!
For that price its just a bit more than all the bits of what a hackintosh of that size could be built for.

Plus they are kind of cool looking, may be somewhat collectible in 15+ years like the G4 cubes.

damezumari

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2014
I use one still and would probably buy two more for other applications. However that is impossibility due to e.g. Xeon CPU pricing combined with Apple markup.

fjsalcedosotoca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
For $1000? I'd buy two at that price! No matter how much we bitch about it, it's still a pretty powerful machine, far more powerful than most users would need. It would make a great home machine for the vast majority of users and what you seem to have in mind. Sadly I doubt Apple would ever price it that low.

Most probably, not. But after the december introduction of the new iMac Pros... Surely one will be able to find them refurbished, second hand and even new at eBay. The thing is: would them be worth the money? Probably they'll cost more than 999, but you get the point...

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Yes, I would buy one and even spend a little more. However I am not convinced that Apple will ever come through with an affordable option and 2018 is a ways off. It would have been nice to have a upgraded 2015 version. My bet when they say 2018 it will be 11/18 at best. Can anyone who needs more power and flexibility really afford to wait that long on a promise.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage

For $999, would definitely buy it, however my Mac Mini needs are very simple

iTunes Server/Elagto TV Recorder. Don't even use too much for General Use as keep Adobe Flash/Reader etc off it.

My Mac Pro 2010 only thing that struggles with is the 1080P encoding in Handbrake. FCP X part is fine still. Basically FCP X to edit then Handbrake to Encode is what use the Mac Pro for. Not too much extra CPU grunt here hence why looking at new iMac 4.2Ghz / 580 GPU for FCP X and use the Quick Sync in the CPU for the Encoding the Video afterwards.

Video is then added to iTunes for stream to AppleTV and 27" 1080P TV screen so may not be as good as Handbrake Output but good enough for the output that being displayed on.

Having said that at $999 vs almost 3K for the iMac then could afford to wait whilst the Mac Pro encodes.

fjsalcedosotoca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
16GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage

For $999, would definitely buy it, however my Mac Mini needs are very simple

iTunes Server/Elagto TV Recorder. Don't even use too much for General Use as keep Adobe Flash/Reader etc off it.

My Mac Pro 2010 only thing that struggles with is the 1080P encoding in Handbrake. FCP X part is fine still. Basically FCP X to edit then Handbrake to Encode is what use the Mac Pro for. Not too much extra CPU grunt here hence why looking at new iMac 4.2Ghz / 580 GPU for FCP X and use the Quick Sync in the CPU for the Encoding the Video afterwards.

Video is then added to iTunes for stream to AppleTV and 27" 1080P TV screen so may not be as good as Handbrake Output but good enough for the output that being displayed on.

Having said that at $999 vs almost 3K for the iMac then could afford to wait whilst the Mac Pro encodes.

The whole point of the question is to clarify if a 2017 maxed out "mac mini like" machine (i7 or xeon six cores, etc., which would be roughly the same of a basic 2013 MP) with corresponding prices makes sense from a computational point of view. And the answer seems to be a yes.

I mean, that implies (as if it wasn't obvious enough) that most of us pros and prosumers alike are "stuck in the middle" of Apple's product line. I've had many macs: Classic, iMac RGB, iMac aluminumn (so I now I DON'T WANT AN ALL IN ONE COMPUTER WITH A F*****G GIGANTIC MIRROR), mac mini, macbooks... But, in the end, the lack of a mid line tower prosumer option has kept me in PC land for up to five years now (looking forward to return, though). I now only use iOS devices from Apple, which is reaaaaaally sad.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
For my needs, my 2012 cheese grater kicks the 2013 nMP in the arse! I'd be giving up too much... :cool:

nMP was designed exclusively for video guys. Hope Apple doesn't make the same mistake twice. ;)

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Actually, as an audio guy currently running two cMP 4,1s flashed to 5,1 in my studio, I will be keeping a close eye on used nMP prices when the nnMP is released. A base model quad trashcan can be upgraded to 8, 10 or 12 core CPU (prices are way down on compatible used CPUs), and thunderbolt 1 is all that is needed to interface with all of the audio interfaces available (TB bandwidth is serious overkill for audio).

As suggested by Jeff (above), other considerations also exist, primarily lack of PCIe slots and internal storage. The custom GPU requirement and resulting high cost to repair also are items of concern.

Depending on OS developments, I may be looking for really cheap cMP dual CPUs being sold. Right now my hex cMPs are serving me very well.

Reactions: JeffPerrin

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Hell yeah I would. I'm already excited about using my current 2013 as an Xcode server for my (future) iMac Pro & Mac Book. I don't think I need another one but for those prices I wouldn't be able to resist, there's too much potential for that type of compounded computational power.

As I say that I'm getting really excited about the iMac Pro and new Mac Pro and how these old, failed, horrible 2013s will be over the place for hopefully cheap in a few months. :)

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
A grand for an nMP is a great price, but I wouldn't buy one myself. It just doesn't fit my work needs, and it's too much machine (or not enough, if you consider the lack of monitor) for ordinary around-the-home computing. We don't do any media serving in-house. So you guys who can use the thing at that price, go wild. :)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
If Ferrari started selling the 488 for $50,000, would you buy one? Sorry, but what the heck kind of question are you asking? Why even play the "what-if" game with prices that are WAY below what the parts actually cost? I'd play if you asked the question using parts/prices that are possible, but this is just nonsense, sorry.

fjsalcedosotoca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2017
If Ferrari started selling the 488 for $50,000, would you buy one? Sorry, but what the heck kind of question are you asking? Why even play the "what-if" game with prices that are WAY below what the parts actually cost? I'd play if you asked the question using parts/prices that are possible, but this is just nonsense, sorry.

Sure!
For that price its just a bit more than all the bits of what a hackintosh of that size could be built for.

Plus they are kind of cool looking, may be somewhat collectible in 15+ years like the G4 cubes.
In terms of current hardware, maybe, but I'm not so sure. Besides, the 999 was just the "catch phrase" so to speak.
Regards.

MaraviRasmussen

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2017
United States
had the same thought, what´s the point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.