Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I found someone selling a supposedly cherry picked 100-400L selling for $1250, 3 years old, here are 100% crops. Worth it?

Attachments

• 001_1514Crop.jpg
    001_1514Crop.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 001_1516crop.jpg
    001_1516crop.jpg
    961 KB · Views: 105
  • POST-2.jpg
    POST-2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 51
  • POST-3.jpg
    POST-3.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 46

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I found someone selling a supposedly cherry picked 100-400L selling for $1250

$1250 is his asking price. I wonder what it will actually sell for. I like to search eBay's completed auctions to get a feel for price. Asking prices don't mean much.

B%H sells the lens new for $1460. Only $190 less. So I guess you have to ask if a warranty is worth $190.

I never pay more than 2/3 of the new price for used equipment. No mater how nice, it is still used equipment. By that rule I'd not go over $1K for the used lens.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
At around $200 more for a brand new never used full warranty lens vs a 3 year old lens, I think I would be looking only at the new one. If the price different was more significant (say sub $1k) but still the same supposed quality I might go the other way.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Agree with the others in this forum. That lens is too expensive without a company warranty. Buy such a lens to later find out that something is wrong with it, and you are stuck with the cost of the repairs. Buy new, and you can send it back to the store within a certain number of days, or to Canon for repairs. Canon takes care if it free of charge.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I never pay more than 2/3 of the new price for used equipment. No mater how nice, it is still used equipment. By that rule I'd not go over $1K for the used lens.

Agree with you of sorts. Depends on the age of the design. The 100-400 is sort long in the tooth, and decent performer - but not stellar in some users opinions.

Any where between 25 to 33% off retail is a good range IMHO.

Though KEH has one in EX+ for $1269. If the seller in the op's post is Calumet - this might not be a bad deal with a years warranty.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Pay a used Price for a Used Lens

Having bought 3 lenses and a second camera in the last 2 months I can tell you that prices are quite low. You shouldn't be paying that much of a percentage for a "used" lens.

People buying used equipment because they either:
- Need/Want something specific
- Are trying to save money

And with the economy most buyers are the second category, and they are really trying to save money. Most sellers get that and know that its currently a buyer's market out there.

That said there are quite a lot of individuals advertising used equipment at 90 to +100% of current value in the stores because they paid more for it 1 or 2 years ago; and they have had that stuff for sale for months. I know of at least one or two locations that keeps selling similar items and they are likely buying used and trying to resell at a profit; fact of life but do your research.

Also I generally suggest you avoid the "for sale best offer" with no price mentioned, often its someone trying to figure out what their stuff is worth, and may not be an immediate seller, you could let another deal slip buy while waiting on someone who is uncertain of their asking price. I once had someone say they didn't know the price, so I offered them $20 and they quickly came up with a more reasonable number and we got on with business.

There are also some scams out there offering really good items for pennies on the dollar (like a D3 for $1000). If someone is offering below 50% for a newish item, likely its a scam or broken; don't fall for it.

As for how much a particular piece of gear is worth, its all subjective. However here are some good resources:

http://www.photoprice.ca - Current Best Prices for New Gear at reputable dealers, you should be paying about 75% of this number MAX. (If your Canadian, I'm sure there is something similar for US customers).

http://www.ebay.ca - Remember to account for currency conversion, shipping and taxes etc. Generally take the price of the good that has the lowest bid on it, watch a few similar items to see what they sell for. Buy it now prices should be at the top of your scale, as many of these auctions roll over as the item is not purchased, yet sellers always like to quote them as the "ebay" price because they are high.

Also take a look at kijiji and craiglist to see what items are advertised, and if there is a suitable substitute at a lower price. Or your local forsale site.

Remember to double check the version you are buying, some lenses and cameras have several different versions.

One final note: always check the gear before agreeing on the final price. If you don't know how, bring a friend who does. You want to make sure you get value for your dollar.

Remember you don't have to buy it if you don't want too, but if you say you'll buy it at a particular price over email/phone and on inspection it in a condition more "worn" than you would like you've likely find the seller less accommodating to lower the sale price a few percent as you already agreed on the price.

Good luck.

Well I for one never buy used lenses. There are simply too many unknowns. Even if the lens looks mint it can have problems or it can be close to having problems. The beginning stages of degradation of the coating can literally be impossible to see especially when its due to things like humidity. I am not saying there are not legitimate HQ lenses on the used market, I am simply saying its a gamble and you just never know. Lenses are just too damned important so I always buy brand new. Actually I do buy very old large format lenses that are used but that is for fine art stuff as some of those old lenses can have very distinctive image qualities. In regards to newer lenses, new is the only way I go.

Another problem with buying high quality lenses used is your most likely not going to save much anyways especially if the lens is in great conditions which is exactly what you want when buying used. You might save a couple hundred dollars and then you have to ask yourself if its really worth buying used to save just a couple hundred bucks. If they are selling it for considerably below market price there is most likely a very good reason for them doing so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.