Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Phone Do You Think Is Best?

• Total voters

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
So i got the iPhone XS Max on release day and just got an iPhone XR in Product Red 1. Because the Red is amazing and 2. I'm a reviewer so i wanted to compare. I tested them using the same apps under the same condition and sure enough the XR came out on top all but once!

View the Speedtest here:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Some of the speed difference seems to be Wi-Fi network related, but I'm not surprised if the Max is slower due to the antenna issues.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Some of the speed difference seems to be Wi-Fi network related, but I'm not surprised if the Max is slower due to the antenna issues.

Just tapping one before the other SLIGHTLY can result in the same thing. I tried to be as fair as possible to check to see if one was tapped before the other but a few it looks like the right hand went first -- I realize it's getting a bit nit picky but ... man the resolution of the video is poor.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So i got the iPhone XS Max on release day and just got an iPhone XR in Product Red 1. Because the Red is amazing and 2. I'm a reviewer so i wanted to compare. I tested them using the same apps under the same condition and sure enough the XR came out on top all but once!

View the Speedtest here:

To me, these types of test are so minimal. I mean, they don’t really indicate much of a speed difference within milliseconds of each other in terms of how much faster each phone really is, it’s dependent on how someone is using it. But being the XR/XS share the same A12 processor, I’m sure it’s difficult to differentiate the speed differences for the average consumer. It’s completely variable.

Stuart6

Suspended
Jan 30, 2017
Xs max in that test seems to have the battery capacity real low. It could have affected the result. Processor could have throttled on the max. It's best to test both phones with full capacity. I don't think there is much difference as they share the same processor. RAM management would favour the max as it has more RAM.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This test proves nothing. The installation isn’t the same, the Wi-Fi is clearly an issue based on the App Store problem.

You’d need two clean devices with the same apps/install/AGE of OS install to reach any meaningful conclusion, resolution aside.

To me the difference doesn't look resolution related, but OS install and Wi-Fi related.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't have stake in either of these devices however a few of the apps were "further along" with the XS Max. Youtube was already autoplaying videos on the XS. Similar with tweetbots state. Appears the XS was doing better on the network overall, but because of that perceived performance can be effected since loading a video that is about to autoplay can effect load times of the rest of the app.

The screen resolution itself doesn't effect performance (battery not withstanding) however scaling will. The iPhone XS Max and XR use different scaling, x3 and x2 respectively. This is akin to rending a 1080p image on a computer, the computer performance is the same whether there is a 1080p monitor hooked up, a 4k monitor hooked up or even no monitor at all. This is why even though XS has ~22-23% more pixels its not 22-23% slower.

Apps cache assets dependent on usage. A fresh boot doesn't remove this data (app name/library/caches). The difference in what is cached and what is being loaded/rendered/scaled/etc makes a performance difference.

I feel the XS Max looked faster to me as it was getting more accomplished however I think that was because the XR network wasn't functioning as well. Now if that wasn't a fluke due to that specific wifi then the XS Max is faster (App Store wouldn't even load in a timely fashion on the XR) however I don't think that was the case.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.