Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thankyouterror

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering whether writing macros on Excel on a mac is essentially the same as on Excel on a Windows. I work on a Windows computer (in Excel, constantly) and want to teach myself to write Macros. I have a Mac at home and I'm wondering if buying Excel would be a worthwhile investment, since if there are significant differences in the programming languages, it wouldn't be beneficial to learn from my mac. Thanks in advance.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
The application references are pretty much the same. The external references are very much different - disk/volume naming conventions, use of DirectX in Windows, some (but not all) form fields. MS's VB environment on the Mac platform is, IMHO, not nearly complete and not even close to being platform-agnostic - there's so much missing from the Mac option...

There's means to be OS-specific but that kind of routine-segregation is a PITA IMHO. My opinion - don't waste your time...

I use and write my own VB routines, but stick to the Win version Windows. I run Win 8.1 & 10 in a VM on my Mac, and run Excel and Access in those VMs. Writing for others while using the Mac OS version of Excel, a trainwreck just around the bend...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.